gas to idi in a 91 f250

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im swapping a 7.3 and 5 speed into my 91 f250 with a 351w with a e40d behind it, i was wondering if i should swap the complete wiring harnes from my doner truck into my 91? my doner truck is a 89 f250 with a 7.3 and a 5 speed behind it. any tips would be greatly appericated!!!

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3L and 5 speed take near nothing to make work in your truck. You can hook the glowplugs on a push button and as long as you have a hot wire going to your starter solenoid, you should be good to get it running. Of course you then have to make sure the three wires on altenator are hooked up, but other than that, its easy on the wiring. Hardest part is making sure your front end will support the extra weight; may require some beefing up.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would reccomend the complete wiring harness swap as well .... are you going with the 5-speed or automatic .... I don't think the auto in the truck will work with 7..3 diesel ... I am more of a chevy person ... so I dont stay up on the interchangeability of ford components ... while swapping the clutch and brake ass'y it would not be too much more work to swap the wiring harness both inside the cab and in the engine compartment ... you should be able to leave the wiring on the engine and just plug it back in once the cab harness is swapped out .. GOOD LUCK on your swap

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinking swapping harnesses too, if i swap the harnesses it will look factory. also does anyone know if the motor plates from the 7.3 truck will bolt on to the small block truck?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, you need a different transmission. The 7.3 has a whole different pattern.

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he was referring to your question about the motor plates... In referring to the "motor plates" are you talking about the transmission flexplate or the motor mounts?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about that. I was thinking you meant transmission, my mistake.

I'm not sure. I have a very similar project sitting myself so I was probably going to have to research the same thing or do as you did and ask here. With whatever info I find, I will let you know but will be watching here too. My project is an 88 F250 with the 302 that went to pot, and i have a 6.9 sitting to go in. Since I owed my dad some money, he has the truck now. That's why I am not working so hard for the answer right now.

But I will try to see what I find out. I just said a lot to say a little.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry about that. I was thinking you meant transmission, my mistake.

I'm not sure. I have a very similar project sitting myself so I was probably going to have to research the same thing or do as you did and ask here. With whatever info I find, I will let you know but will be watching here too. My project is an 88 F250 with the 302 that went to pot, and i have a 6.9 sitting to go in. Since I owed my dad some money, he has the truck now. That's why I am not working so hard for the answer right now.

But I will try to see what I find out. I just said a lot to say a little.

i pulled both engines today and the passenger side motor mount plate bolts up and the driver side bolts up in 3 of the 4 holes which would probably work but im gonna fab up a plate so i can bolt up the 4th hole, ill try to get some pics posted tomorrow of the swap

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did things turn out? Any pictures?

Any problems so far? How well did your wiring work?