fuel tanks

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 2 fuel tanks in my 85. I need to know what they can hold please. The fuel gauge seems to be not working right.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They differ from truck to truck.

Some have two metal tanks, some two plastic tanks, some a metal front and plastic rear, and some a plastic front and metal rear.

I have seen them all different ways.

My 85 F-350 came factory-original with a metal front and plastic rear.

When pulled down below the pick-up in the tank, I can squeeze about twenty-gallons in either one.

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple more questions.

Do the gauges in 85 have problem? It seems to go down to half then to 0 in a few miles. Is this common?

Other question does anyone make a oversized tank for these trucks?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has a poly midship and a steel rear tank, if i remeber correctly ive put over 17 into both. I just figured it was 2 19 gallon tanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the gauges in 85 have problem? It seems to go down to half then to 0 in a few miles. Is this common?

Yes, sadly to say, all too common.

The gauge-senders develop dead spots and whenever the fuel-level reaches one of the dead spots, the needle goes to nothing; once below or above the dead spot, the needle reads again.

The sender in my front-(metal)-tank gave me fits for years, until I found FELLRO's tech write-up on how to retrofit a $16 J.C.Whitney sender onto the Ford tank pick-up assembly; since then, the gauge has worked flawlessly, much better than the Ford junk ever did.

I believe the sender in my rear-(plastic)-tank must be of a better design, as it has always worked fine.

Do a search and you will find a link to FELLRO's fine write-up on just how to accomplish the fix.;Sweet

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple more questions.

Other question does anyone make a oversized tank for these trucks?

Sometimes the hollow brass float fills up with fuel and becomes a sinker instead of a floater. I recently replaced my float for $8 at the local auto parts store.
Works fine now.

I put a 45 gal rear tank on my '85. Works great. The biggest problem is figuring out where to put the spare tire (with a camper on the truck).

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's about as low to the ground as the spare tire used to be when I had the stock tank and tire below it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online