Fuel tank sending unit

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do I pull the front tank on a 90 f 250 to check the sending unit? The gauge works fine on the back tank but the front one reads zero all the time. Can I drop the tank or do I have to pull the bed off to get to it. Thanks in advance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't drop the front tank to access the sending units and pickup. Its not necessary. Just get under the truck at the tank and drive shaft location. Use a flashlite to see better. Find the sending unit. Remove the supply & return lines. Remove the electrical connection. Now a punch, chiesel or screw driver and hammer. Knock loose the retainer ring around the edge of the sender. Lift out the sender. Notice the gasket and the locating pin in the cover. Make sure you reinstall it so the line point the same direction. Not a hard job at all. There will be dirt around the retaining ring so blow it off or it drops in the tank. Now about dropping any tanks. They will have fuel in them. Usually around 1/4 tank. That fuel is heavy and it will move around and throw off the balance of the now heavy tank. If you can drop a tank make sure you do not attempt to install the tank with fuel in it. Its nearly impossible to hold it up there. I say this because I did this once the hard way... Never again will I drop a tank with fuel in it. My suction lines now reach the bottom of the tanks. The only truely safe and easy way to drop a tank that has the suctions on the bottom of the tanks is with an electric lift pump. Run a line from the filter to a 5 gallon fuel jug and turn on the key to the run and listen for the pump to run dry. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it....:sly:angel:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Gary nailed it, you can sneak that little ******* out with the tank and bed intact. i had to remove my factory skid plate though dont know if that will apply to you.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said it! Ive been dreading that project since I bougjt my truck. Should have asked I guess.LOL

I have helped a lot of folks and a lot of folks have helped me and the one thing I learned is that the only dumb question is the one you don`t ask. I will be under my truck tomorrow night. I just hope I can find a sending unit somewhere.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMC TRUCKS lists sending units for diesel Fords. They also list replacement electrical plug pigtails for the wiring plug that hooks to the new sending unit. The listing shows [If I recall] 4 different plug styles so you will need to look at yours before ordering.

BTW... the plugs are not terrible expensive.. the sending units are in the painful price range. Still, cheaper than stealership I think.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LMC TRUCKS lists sending units for diesel Fords. They also list replacement electrical plug pigtails for the wiring plug that hooks to the new sending unit. The listing shows [If I recall] 4 different plug styles so you will need to look at yours before ordering.

BTW... the plugs are not terrible expensive.. the sending units are in the painful price range. Still, cheaper than stealership I think.

SkipBurney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the LMC part number I have tried every supplier in Savannah and the dealer with no luck finding one. I was told they are 12 gallon tanks by the PO is that correct.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The sending units have become painfully difficult to find... The stealership I called said both the front and rear diesel units have been discontinued from the 83-91 model years entirely. I was told a rear unit could be had for close to $500 for my 94, and the front was obsolete.

Strangely enough they had gas sending units listed and available... :rolleyes:

Seems as the cost and complexity of the newer diesels keeps rising, the parts for the older ones "convienently" become obsolete.

On my white truck I experimented with a single turn potentiometer (cant remember off-hand what the ohm range was) with lousy results. The sender worked very well for about 1 week then the diesel ate up the windings inside the little *******. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any diesel front tank is 19.7 gal and the rear is 17.2 gal. If the po owner told you the tanks are 12 gal then your sender fuel pickups are broken off. You will find the black "shower head pickups in the tank on the bottom. Just add about 3 inches to the steel end of the pickup but cut a V in the hose so it wont suck flat to the bottom of the fuel tank. Its 3.8 steel tubing so any fuel rated hose and clamp will get to that last holly fuel in the tanks....:angel:

Goose_ss4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what guys think about retro fitting bottom tank aftermarket fuel sender. like what air dog or fass use on the power strokes and cummins. I think a 97 model ford kit should work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online