Fuel tank liner?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I've changed a BUNCH of fuel tanks on late model Ford trucks in the shop that have delaminated. Actually just did one last week on a F450 CC but i've always just bought the updated tank from Ford or installed a Transfer flow depending on what the customer wanted.

I just bought a 2006 F550 crew cab, cab chassis with a dead 6.0. Melted a hole in one piston. Found a bunch of tank liner in the fuel filter and HFCM. I have not dropped the tank yet but i pulled the sending unit out and the tank is horrid.

Ford gets around 1200 bucks for a tank for the cab chassis. Transfer flow is much more.
So i'm thinking about just degreasing the tank and coating with Kreem. I'm worried about the rest of the liner but i would think the Kreem coating with just seal everything. The 6.0 forum doesn't seem like it gets much traffic, there are far more diesel guys on here also.

So what do you guys think? I'm removing the 6.0 for a 5.9 12V i have. I bought the truck dirt cheap so i don't want to pour a ton of money into it. Goal #1 is to have a cheap economical daily driver to replace my IDI.
Lucikly i already found a guy that wants to trade a dually bed for the flatbed that was on the truck. Now i just gotta stretch it (not chopping the frame down).

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think since it's already got electronics, I'd go for a 24V Cummins, or I'd see how tough it was to go with a 7.3 Powerstroke.

All of this is coming from a guy with zero F550 experience.

Sounds like a cool score any way you go ;Sweet

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Keyword.

CHEAP.

I have a 12V cummins thats modded, KDP installed. Ready to roll. Took it out of my old ram that was literally falling apart around the motor.
Don't want a 7.3 either as i'd have to BUY that too.

Don't want to BUY a tank either! LOL

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Can you just run an aux tank in the bed? You can get ones for a lot less the $1200.

I know nothing of lining tanks...

wmoguy

Reaction score
Keyword.

CHEAP.

I have a 12V cummins thats modded, KDP installed. Ready to roll. Took it out of my old ram that was literally falling apart around the motor.
Don't want a 7.3 either as i'd have to BUY that too.

Don't want to BUY a tank either! LOL

Luvs me a 12v!

Keep the flatbed, pickup a saddle tank from a class 8 at the junkyard. Boom done

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luvs me a 12v!

Keep the flatbed, pickup a saddle tank from a class 8 at the junkyard. Boom done

I can't imagine degrading from a flat-bed to a flimsy pick-up bed. :dunno

There are plenty of fuel-tank options to be used with a flat-bed.

If you want an in-frame tank, look into a 30-gallon plastic tank from a 1989-93 Dodge; they are tough as nails and easy to retrofit under almost anything.
:)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year-models and F-sizes are having this tank delamination problem ??

Thanks.
:)

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Alot of E series diesels and F series diesel from 2002+ that have steel tanks.

I have the one out of the 6.0 now, its a total mess.

I need to put a pickup bed on it as i live in a area with a Home Owners Dissociation. Can't have a flatbed on the back. Need to make it look like a pickup or the neighbors will threaten me with a lynching.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Replace the IDI, say it aint so?:rotflmao

I haven't had time to do the HG's on my truck.

I got a great running cummins, just needed to find a new wrapper to put it in. My OBS ford while i love, but i got a great deal on the F550. I don't have to worry about the bearings failing on the F550 with larger tires like on a F350 since its such a STOUT truck.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Alot of E series diesels and F series diesel from 2002+ that have steel tanks.

I have the one out of the 6.0 now, its a total mess.

I need to put a pickup bed on it as i live in a area with a Home Owners Dissociation. Can't have a flatbed on the back. Need to make it look like a pickup or the neighbors will threaten me with a lynching.

Your HOA has a bylaw for no flatbed pickups, or no commercial vehicles? I could see the no commercial vehicles, but I've lived in some pretty swanky neighborhoods with HOA ****'s and not heard of no flatbed bylaws?

Might be cheaper to make the flatbed look presentable, than stretch a Dually box (assuming your HOA allows non commercial flatbed pickups)

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
No pickups in general.

I've gotten away with it with the topper on my truck. Makes it look like a big SUV. I already have a topper off a superduty with the glass busted out thanks to an idiot friend. I can stretch that since its fiberglass without issue. Talked to my friends over at the body shop and they'll stretch the bed for me. Just gonna order some bedsides for the contoured metal.

I'm gonna do the same with the F550. Except use the rickson DRW to SRW conversion.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used KREEM as a tank liner. Seems to work very well.

As for HOA, this is exactly why I will never live in an area with an HOA again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle