Fuel system

blue rally

Reaction score
ok here is another development, Yesterday on my 88 7.3 idi non-turbo , I replaced the new stock fuel filter and housing. I have previously removed the water separator on the firewall and replaced it with another with a marine version. The new fuel filter housing came off 89 and has the water separator on the bottom of the filter and heater built into the housing, anyway after replacing that filter since I did not now of its history it has enhanced the performance for a bit more power going up the big hill. I also bypassed the water separator that I recently bought, but that did not make any more difference.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds very much like your filter was plugged up some. Changing to the better filter head was a good idea too.

blue rally

Reaction score
Sounds very much like your filter was plugged up some. Changing to the better filter head was a good idea too.

Thanks , thinking now maybe I should have went with rebuilt ip and injectors. From what I Have been researching better to go with ip 1st since new injectors pop off around 1800. Of course the shop said they replaced all the injectors the last time I Talked to them.

other than actually taking the injectors out to test them , is there any way to tell if they been replaced? the shop painted everything gray to match factory, maybe different part numbers stamped on the side or do they all use the same?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks , thinking now maybe I should have went with rebuilt ip and injectors. From what I Have been researching better to go with ip 1st since new injectors pop off around 1800. Of course the shop said they replaced all the injectors the last time I Talked to them.

other than actually taking the injectors out to test them , is there any way to tell if they been replaced? the shop painted everything gray to match factory, maybe different part numbers stamped on the side or do they all use the same?

Nope...remove taoe to reoutable shop or pwrson and pop test and match pressures
@typ4 aka Russ or @Agnem aka Mell....or Justin at IDI performance R&D

All three cqn help you

Russ and Justin are west coast....Riuss is in oregon Justin in washington

PM Russ to get a hold of him

Justin
http://www.idiperformance.com

www.conestogadiezel.com for Mel

Mel is eastern US....

You figure it out......

JM7.3CW Eh!

blue rally

Reaction score
Looking around here in town I can get bwd-new for 36.99 or cordone reman for 54.99. Not to stuck on either. Also a bwd ip for 411.99.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking around here in town I can get bwd-new for 36.99 or cordone reman for 54.99. Not to stuck on either. Also a bwd ip for 411.99.

YOU ARE NOT LISTENING.....

Look in Hall of SHAME.

Why not speak with the folks who know

411 bucks....i highly doubt they rebuild with parts and labour for that price.

You have a remanned engine...stick with quality...or choose crud...yer crap shoot.

Makes no difference to me how you spend moneý. Especially if you have to spend it twice for IP and injectors.

We recomend 3 folks here for a reason....

Just sayin

blue rally

Reaction score
No i hear ya. Just was mentioning. The ip pump is new not rebuilt, just dont know about borg warner and their pumps

blue rally

Reaction score
I think I should have posted these picts here , so u can get an idea on fuel pressure.

installed engine off
You must be registered for see images attach

pump on , engine off

engine at idle.

When I get to 3000 rpm it fluctuates between 2.5 and 3-sometimes making to 4 psi.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The numbers you have are great. Even zero is fine but a vacuum is going to cause trouble. The place you have the gauge is for the plugged fuel filter sender and should be installed a d used. When I purchased my truck many years ago I had both oil and fuel filters from Fram on it. About a month after buying I noticed the filter warning light on the dash coming in slowly when I asked for mure fuel under modest engine load. Found out my filter was nearly completely plugged up and also found out Fram was crap. Went with Motorcraft and never looked back. Same with oil filter...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Injection Pump inlet pressures do not correlate to a bad IP....it may correlate to a bad lift pump but not IP....the IP is the high pressure pump...upwards of 5000lbs pressure perhaps....

Not sure where you are leading this but eh....perhaps the nomenclature is off.

Oh btw 411 aint a new pump either its a chepanease reman

JM7.3CW Eh!

blue rally

Reaction score
Plainly the direction Heading is making sure the ip pump is getting the correct gph it needs to keep generating high pressure to all injectors equally. Some may get just enough to pop off and deliver some fuel while other may get the full amount of fuel. If the pressure drops to zero the the amount of fuel also drops off to ip.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Plainly the direction Heading is making sure the ip pump is getting the correct gph it needs to keep generating high pressure to all injectors equally. Some may get just enough to pop off and deliver some fuel while other may get the full amount of fuel. If the pressure drops to zero the the amount of fuel also drops off to ip.

Pressure and volume of flow are being confused here. We can run on zero pressure to the injection pump but the flow rate must be high enough to supply the needed volume of fuel. Our oil systems are designed this way. We have what is considered as a low pressure but a high flow volume to all bearings. Some sbc will run a very high pressure system but considerably lower volume than our idi engines. We actually have a member that ran his turbo idi engine with no lift pump running. It was a few miles till he remembered to turn on the electric lift pump. then his power came back. In the inlet of the injection pump we have a screen and a small 4 vaned transfer pump. Its not designed to act as a fuel transfer pump like the stock or electric lift pumps but it aids in fuel delivery to the injection pump.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't know what your getting at by saying the above, but it's true that if the pressure drops to ZERO.

But an IP only needs 1 PSI to 11 PSI to supply fuel to the injectors, as long as there is a positive pressure it's good enough for the IP.

You must be running a mechanical lift pump, there are millions of IDI's with those, they all seem to function OK with the pressures they produce.

If you feel your not supplying enough pressure to the IP, your next step would be an Electric lift pump. Any IP supply pressure over 11 PSI changes the IP internal advance. Agnems recent IP pressure study about IP pressures, looks to me like the ideal PSI is from 2 to 5 PSI.

I don't see if you have replaced the mechanical lift pump, but if you did, you have to be sure the pump arm is UNDER the cam lobe, on top of it, it will pump, but at a reduced pressure and volume.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online