Fuel System Question

01txdmax

Reaction score
I have a Duramax that I'm putting back to stock to trade at a dealer. I put an Airdog 100 on it some years ago (along with other goodies) and I don't want to give it away or get less for the trade because I 'modified' the stock truck. So I have one, and it has no home.

So...here's where I ask the question that starts the fight....

Has anyone put an Airdog 100 on their IDI that has a 'this is how I did it' or suggestions?

I know we have lower pressure requirements (around 7psi at the IP) and our supply/return lines are on the small side for the 100gph, but could the installation be done for less than a GOOD electric pump to replace the current Holley Red that's on the truck?

I'm certainly open to all thoughts, ideas and discussions.

Thank you, I'm all ears:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 15-17 psi output is overkill for the IDI. You'll need half of that. Higher pressure can effect the timing and advance it rapidly. The GPH output is also overkill, but not necessarily detrimental. The excess flow will push through the return system, but your 3/16 lines on the 6.9 may cause some back pressure. Later 7.3 return lines are 1/4

01txdmax

Reaction score
BDCarillo: Agreed, fuel line diameter would be a problem for a volume that high as well as the inlet/outlet diameters on the fuel shut off valve.

79Jasper: The Diprocol gauge showed an average of 10psi running down the road. Honestly, I haven't been under the truck in two years. To be fair, I wouldn't say a price until I could have eyes on it (corrosion is a problem up here in NW PA). Suffice to say that I would probably let it go for what it would cost to replace it with a good pump that wouldn't require me to change anything in the 6.9 fuel system but get ~7 psi at a suitable flow rate.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 psi may be acceptable for an IDI but it'll advance timing a degree or two. The factory spec must have been for the pump itself, not counting the filters.

The volume of that pump is just killer... an adjustable return style regulator feeding you engine ought to solve the volume and pressure issue. You'd have to plumb in a large dedicated return line, which gets complicated on dual tank trucks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In all likely hood and in my opinion based on a previous thread here...IIRC 94turboidi did a hi pressure setup and screwed up stuff due to way to much back pressure on return system.

I'm not sure who did it but there was tons of disscussion in his thread about the issue, and he used a boost pressure regulated fuel pressure regulator as well and just fought the whole time and finally went to a simple low pressure setup.

Just food for thought...

Al

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Yeah Eric didn't have much luck with a high volume pump on his IDI. Better off to sell the air dog and get something else for the IDI.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
The higher volume/psi pumps need a dedicated return line back to the fuel tank and cannot be tied into the stock return system as that's where the problems developed with return line pressures being too high.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok then that settles it! Sell me that AirDog cause I already re plumbed my whole truck with 5/8 and 1/2 feed and return lines!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online