Fuel system guidelines

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been doing research on new IP and injectors for my rig, and I can’t seem to find good information for anything in the mid range build sector of the IDI market, IE, non-studded heads, standard ATS or banks turbo, free flowing exhaust and intake, etc.

I’m looking for the best set of injectors and an IP for when my IDI starts having issues in the future, the goal being for this thread to get general recommendations for others to use in the future as well. It’s a Pain for everyone to need to PM the vendors for advice every time, ya know?

That being said, what are recommendations for me specifically, as well as in general for people who are doing their own research?

My specs:

89’ 7.3IDI in a motor home with 115k miles on it.

E4OD transmission

1st gen banks turbo

Hyper max hood vent cold air intake with hard piping

3” straight pipe exhaust

Looking to gain power if possible, but mainly maintain reliability and fuel economy. WOT EGTs sit at about 900-950 at the turbo.

Recommendations for a mild build as such? I feel like with “junior moose” type injection pumps out there, as well as many stages of injectors, there has to be some better guide as to what tier you should land in.

Thoughts?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WOT EGTs sit at about 900-950 at the turbo.

This is going to be your issue, you’re not going to be able to get any hotter than that, and any upgrade in fueling is going to run hotter. I would get the sensor closer to the exhaust port so you have a more accurate reading, and look into air upgrades first unless you are having hot start or injector issues. With my 1” intake hat it is pretty simple to build a water to air intercooler setup that will cut your egts in half, allow you to run more boost with the stock head bolts.
You must be registered for see images attach

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is going to be your issue, you’re not going to be able to get any hotter than that, and any upgrade in fueling is going to run hotter. I would get the sensor closer to the exhaust port so you have a more accurate reading, and look into air upgrades first unless you are having hot start or injector issues. With my 1” intake hat it is pretty simple to build a water to air intercooler setup that will cut your egts in half, allow you to run more boost with the stock head bolts.

Am I reading correctly? EGT's in half? As in 500-600 degrees WOT on a turbo idi pulling a load? That sounds like a difficult task...

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I’m on the van chassis, so I don’t have space for intercooling. I will however gain a bit of EGT headroom once my kinked up pipe gets replaced (again, space). What are the limits of the 1st gen banks charger? I’m topping out at about 9-10 PSI right now.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several people have intercooled that exact setup in the van chassis, it’s cramped but doable. You’re basically at the limit of your current configuration with egts, you’re going to need to stud the engine or intercool it to improve the performance with that turbo. Another option would be to replace the banks turbo with a more efficient modern turbo to drop your egts, that will require a new downpipe and intake setup.

lsaami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several people have intercooled that exact setup in the van chassis, it’s cramped but doable. You’re basically at the limit of your current configuration with egts, you’re going to need to stud the engine or intercool it to improve the performance with that turbo. Another option would be to replace the banks turbo with a more efficient modern turbo to drop your egts, that will require a new downpipe and intake setup.

Interesting. Good to know.

Another question, theoretically, is it better to run a stock fuel system turned up, or a higher flow system turned down? Assuming the same levels can be achieved with both, ya know? Theoretically.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock turned up, you turn down a custom calibrated pump you loose the benefits of that calibration, and can run into hot start issues.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Plus you may have wasted some money if you bought one that cost more than a stock pump.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jchellen2

Members online