Fuel Return Olives

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing the olives on my fuel return system. I have one removed (read: pain in the -cuss) and I am working on the other end of the tube.

When I replaced the olives on the inlet side of the pump, I had equal difficulty, but this time around, my hands have been reduced to hamburger meat...

Does anyone have a helpful trick to getting these dang olives out of their hiding place?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... A dental pick works great.. They are very hard to remove thats for sure. A very small flame will burn them out too but watch how hot the cap or nut gets...

Last edited:

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I use a dental pick (couple different ones) and a small pair of jewlers needle nose pliers.

You could probably use a pair of snap ring pliers in place of the needle nose, just something to get in there and get ahold of the little shredded bits.

A bic pen flared out makes a great reinstall tool.

punk

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what are you refering to as olives?

SWS

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what are you refering to as olives?

SWS

at the end of the hard fuel line in the nut is a sort of compression piece of rubber...tightening the nut squeezes them thus no leaks.
All they look like is a slice off a rubber hose...a bit of a bear to dig out of the nut when replacing.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, dental picks are the only way to go. Been doing those ******** since I was just a little tike helping my dad in the garage. Many poked fingers later I just sit there and rip them apart with a dental pick before I even try to pull them out. Sometimes you'll get lucky and the sucker will just come out when you spin the nut.