Fuel filter wiring (Go ahead and laugh!)

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 89 F-350 with a 7.3. A couple of months ago, I got the light that said I had water in my filter. So, I got under the hood, in the dark, and turned the bottom of the filter to let the water out. I didn't see anything come out of the bottom of the filter, so I turned the ring some more. Still nothing. I turned the ring some more and (as you've guessed by now) the whole bottom came off! THEN I noticed the hose connected and figured that was the reason I didn't see anything. Of course, the o-ring was swollen, the filter was empty, it was night, dark, cold and I was more than a little embarrassed. Next morning I went to the local parts store to get a new filter. They had only a Wix filter, with a little plug in the bottom. No water sensor. I put it on temporarily.

So last week, I got a new filter from Ford. The correct one. $42!!! However, when I put it on, I found two wires that could be connected to the bottom of the filter. Naturally, I can't remember which one is correct. One, a green wire with a red tracer has a slightly bigger rubber connector covering but same size connector. It's quite a stretch to get it to reach. The other is black with a smaller rubber covering on the connector but will reach with much more slack.

Can someone tell me which one goes on the filter? And, what's the other one for?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
One is for the vacuum senser or plugged up fuel filter lite at the top of the filter head. The other wire is for the water in fuel lite. Can't really tell you the wire colors but someone here will be able to tell you that...

gatorman21218

Reaction score
filterbarn.com

I got a bunch of International fuel filters for 9 bucks each. As for the wiring I really dont have an answer for you.