Fuel economy mods

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont think so but i have thought of that, any decent priced flow meter we have at work is basically a ball in a tub that steadily enlargens. trying to read something like that bouncing down the road even if your fuel was clear would be next to impossible. you would also have to factor out the fuel running back through your return lines.

otherwise it seems to get real expensive
http://www.keenzo.com/search.asp?ID=551

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i dont think so but i have thought of that, any decent priced flow meter we have at work is basically a ball in a tub that steadily enlargens. trying to read something like that bouncing down the road even if your fuel was clear would be next to impossible. you would also have to factor out the fuel running back through your return lines.

otherwise it seems to get real expensive
http://www.keenzo.com/search.asp?ID=551

Yeah I found some of the same as well. I found some nice analog ones, and then all of the sudden I checked the price and was like, holy chit why the heck do these gauges cost $400.

I like that 1st one on there, cheap (relitivly speaking), and it was decent looking ;Sweet

tractorman86

Reaction score
what about those air/fuel mixture guages (IIRC) i believe you plumb what seems to be an 0/2 censor in the exh. and it will tell you if you are rich or lean on a gasser. would one work on a diesel?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
what about those air/fuel mixture guages (IIRC) i believe you plumb what seems to be an 0/2 censor in the exh. and it will tell you if you are rich or lean on a gasser. would one work on a diesel?

I dont really think so. On a gasser (what they are marketed for), they are supposed to stay around the 14.7:1 area. But on a diesel, idling can net something like 200+:1 air/fuel mixture, and the gauge wont read that high. It would probably only work when accelerating, then the air fuel mixture would be close.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
This is going to be a long experiment LOL

Anyways, I was bored sitting around the house today. I went out and experimented with a home made HHO system. I went and took a bolt, wraped it with teflon tape. I put a positive lead on one washer, spaced the next washer with a little rubber o-ring I found laying around. Then put a negative lead on another washer. Wasnt all that complicated. Anyways put it in a container (Costco cashew container if you know how big that is) filled with water, and a tablespoon of baking soda. Hooked up the wires to my passenger side battery, and watched in aww. I used 10awg wire, so it was plenty big. I had a pretty good amount of gas come off, for the half an hour I spent making it (I had to find everything, that took most of the time). Anyways it was pretty cool to see all the hydrogen come off, you could take a lighter and light the hydrogen bubbles on fire and they would pop.

I think I will experiment with this. To be honest it worked pretty dang good. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm thinking I will try it for 30amps and see what that does.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea i read into it a little but how do you plumb it in just into the intake?:dunno i heard something about merging it into your fuel linescookoo

FordGuy100

Reaction score
yea i read into it a little but how do you plumb it in just into the intake?:dunno i heard something about merging it into your fuel linescookoo

I would probably drill a hole in the intake after the filter, but before the turbo. Then put in a nozzle of some sort, like a nitrous jet. Then the turbo will suck it in, compress it, and away we go.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you want a fuel management gauge but they are not cheap. So you're working on a hydrogen generator? Sounds interesting. I've not heard of it being perfected except for fuel cells not in a CI or SI engine...but it seems like it could work.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i wonder if there would be any ill effects on the turbo, seals and what have you. what about friction, if that turbo creates enough heat then 'boom'.(remember the hindenburgh) i know hydrogen is quite volital. that might be something to look into

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i wonder if there would be any ill effects on the turbo, seals and what have you. what about friction, if that turbo creates enough heat then 'boom'.(remember the hindenburgh) i know hydrogen is quite volital. that might be something to look into

I've seen setup's on turbo diesel's before. My grandfathers friend has a cummins in it. He just made a kit, he said he got 17mpg before, and is now at 21mpg. I dont know if he is lieing or not, but I figured I would try.

I might put it in the snail shell of the turbo that sits on the intake, I really didnt want to mess with it though, thats why I was going to put it in pre turbo.

tractorman86

Reaction score
on second thought, it might be better pre turbo. if you put it in the snail you have to figure out a way to pump it in. worst case scenario; a turbo seal might be cheeper than some elaberate pump setup.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, When a HHo system is installed on a gasser it has a hose connected to vacuum and a hose connected to the intake tube. When the vehicle accelerates vacuum goes to zero possicle even a pount or so of pressure if engine is NA. Upon acceleration on a turbo engine it goes to boost which then forces the hydrogen into the incoming air. Since diesels don't create vacuum, they use a vacuum pump. Don't think it's a good idea to tap in after the turbo to get air pressure because then your boost will drop to crap. Maybe something like a windshield washer pump could work?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay guys, I'll get this thing back going again.

Without further adu....here are my less than steller results :D

Starting milage: 122135.25 miles
Ending milage: 123053.7 miles
Fuel consumed: 59.356 gallons

For a average fuel economy for 918.45 miles of.......drum roll please.......15.47mpg LOL.

So ya....ignorance is bliss....all this time I was thinking my truck was doing good on fuel economy, looks like it isnt. So...now I'm going to re-read this whole thread and figure out what I am going to do first.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are working on a rather long HHO injection thread on FTE, is it OK if I were to post a link? Several (some long time) members are reporting promising results with generators they built. This is something simple enough that almost anyone can try it to see for themselves if it works. My first attempt didn't work well enough to fit on the engine, so I'm back to the drawing board.

Hydrogen gas has a self ignition temperature of over 900F, so a backfire through the intake or preignition in the chamber is not something you have to worry about. Don't ever use salt as an electrolyte though (produces clorine gas). Baking soda is ok, lye or KOH will work better, but for casual testing baking soda is probably the safest as it is not caustic.

For fuel economy, its been a long line of mods and upgrages for my truck.

It had a C6 transmission and 4.10 gears when I bought it (tach was messed up so I thought it had 3.54;Pissed ). At 60 MPH it got 9 MPG on high sulfur diesel. After swapping to 3.08s, and adding a ram intake the averaged went up to 16-18 MPG and on rare ocasions 20 MPG empty, but that changed with LSD and ULSD. My average with 3.08s was closer to 13 MPG becasue I was usually loaded or towing a trailer at 70 MPH.

Adding the E4OD was an improvement. In 3rd gear towing or loaded, 15 MPG was now the norm, the locking torque converter makes the difference. Overdrive can't really be used unless I'm empty or at least fairly light, but it is a pleasure to drive when I am able to use it. 1650 RPM at 70 MPH and usually gets at least 20 MPG consistently at that speed. Also because of the tall gearing, moderate engine loading and relatively low RPM, I have adjusted the cruise control to apply only the slightest amount of power to keep the truck going at my cruising speed. This seems to have made my 20 MPG runs more consistent and has removed one major variable in my quest for better MPGs; my right foot. Speed will typically bleed off by up to 5 MPH on the longer hills unless its a very steep grade, then I have to hit the OD cancel switch and take over until I get to the top of the hill.

The turbocharger didn't seem to do much for economy, but it most certainly did not hurt either.

I recently got a set of toyo open country HT highway ribbed tires and they seem to be doing well. The stock 235/85/16 tire size is probably the best configuration for fuel economy when you consider the increace in ride height and frontal cross section even with 255/85-16 tires, let alone the larger off road tires.

I have also removed my canopy from the truck, and when I am empty I have the tailgate up. Have not tried with the tailgate down or removing it.

All my estimates are for 70 MPH cruise speed except for when I had those darn 4.10 gears. I also live in a rather hilly part of the world and 2% grade is about as flat as it ever gets. I run the same 200 mile trip nearly every week, so I was able to establish the average very well by now.

tractorman86

Reaction score
and it will go down even more when you run the wmo but free wmo(fuel) will offset the milage drop for sure.