Howdy
Reaction score
Your fluid capacities are as follows:

T-19B - 7.0 quarts
BW 1345 - 6.5 quarts
Dana 44 - 3.8 pints
Dana 70 - 6.5 pints
Dana 70 HD - 7.0 pints

All of these values came out of a Haynes manual, so interpret them as you see fit...

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, right foot can mean a lot. I used to drive my little firebird like hell, and would get 14 mpg around town, and 28 highway. Then i slowed the hell down, and can get 20 mpg city, and 32-35 highway.

fireman438

Reaction score
FYI for those of you keeping count ALL engine oil filtration systems are bypass type, the simple reasoning being (yes, in this case, some automotive engineers can reason) dirty oil is better than no oil at all. So, there is a filtration system out there that filters down to something like 5 microns or so, and users reported rediculously long oil change intervals (200,000 miles or more if i recall correctly) I have no idea the cost of the system, nor what it's called, but I saw an ad in Diesel Power magazine. That kind of extended interval would certainly reduce operating costs, depending of course on the cost of this system.

Rich

FordGuy100

Reaction score
FYI for those of you keeping count ALL engine oil filtration systems are bypass type, the simple reasoning being (yes, in this case, some automotive engineers can reason) dirty oil is better than no oil at all. So, there is a filtration system out there that filters down to something like 5 microns or so, and users reported rediculously long oil change intervals (200,000 miles or more if i recall correctly) I have no idea the cost of the system, nor what it's called, but I saw an ad in Diesel Power magazine. That kind of extended interval would certainly reduce operating costs, depending of course on the cost of this system.

Rich

Its called the FS-2000 if I remember right. Talk about expensive though...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm planning on adding a bypass oil filter to mine once I switch over to synthetic. I'm going to run one of Amsoil's though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright, got my baseline fuel economy with my current driving. I must say, though, that Ignorance is bliss when it comes to fuel economy when you dont have to pay. I almost ran out of fuel in my front tank as well...

Anyways I drove for 235.6 miles, and used 15.414 gallons for a grand total of 15.28MPG...

I must say, I need to control my right foot a little better...

First thing on the list of things to do is air up the tires, cause I gotta study for finals and I dont have all that much time to spend working on my truck.

M

maxdiesel

Would a 4 speed to a zf 5 speed be a straight swap in an 87 4x4? How low is 1st on the 5 speed because I use my truck for plowing in winter. If this is a good swap what year zf 5's fit my 87. Thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Would a 4 speed to a zf 5 speed be a straight swap in an 87 4x4? How low is 1st on the 5 speed because I use my truck for plowing in winter. If this is a good swap what year zf 5's fit my 87. Thanks

Your truck should have a ZF in it if it was factory manual truck, I'm pretty sure at least. Anyways, its not a straight up exact fit in deal, you will need the ZF crossmemeber, and the floor pan where the shifter goes through. You will also need a flywheel and clutch setup for one as well. Other than that, it should fit in about the same.

You can use a ZF from a truck anywhere from 87-97, cause I"m pretty sure you can use one from a psd.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, got my baseline fuel economy with my current driving. I must say, though, that Ignorance is bliss when it comes to fuel economy when you dont have to pay. I almost ran out of fuel in my front tank as well...

Anyways I drove for 235.6 miles, and used 15.414 gallons for a grand total of 15.28MPG...

I must say, I need to control my right foot a little better...

First thing on the list of things to do is air up the tires, cause I gotta study for finals and I dont have all that much time to spend working on my truck.

You aren't going to get an accurate MPG out of just one tank. You need to average several tankfulls to reduce the error caused by filling to different levels.

In the past I recorded MPG in a database for some of my company vehicles, the MPG for one tankful can vary widely but over thousands of miles the average will be accurate.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You aren't going to get an accurate MPG out of just one tank. You need to average several tankfulls to reduce the error caused by filling to different levels.

In the past I recorded MPG in a database for some of my company vehicles, the MPG for one tankful can vary widely but over thousands of miles the average will be accurate.

I hear you, and that what I'm doing right now. I forgot to fill up the tires (first experiment), so it looks like I'm still going to be averaging it out.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 87 had some T19s and some ZF 5 transmissions. Al the autos were still C6s. I do believe Justin's info about the ZF5 swap is accurate. There is a whole writeup on it in the tech articles though by CheaperJeeper.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright guys, I was just thinking, and I need some help. Is there some sort of guage out there that measures the fuel flow through the fuel lines, ie it measuers the amount of fuel going to the IP, in GPH? I would like some sort of gauge like that (or if its cheap two, so I can put one in the return line), so I can find the sweet spot for fuel economy?

So basically what I'm asking for is a gauge that measuers GPH of fuel?