Fuel economy mods

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I know, my right foot is my problem as well. I know if I drive easy, I can gain a good 2 mpg (I've done it before).

Russ, I"m totally going to go for your WMO offer ;Sweet.

And I would love to swap in a ZF-5 speed, but right now, its just out of my budget. I'm going to be doing all the maintance things on my truck, and report back if they do anything. Like Synthetics, bypass oil filter, inflate the tires, new thermostate, and other things of the sort.

But dont get me wrong, this summer, I am going to put in a ZF-5 speed. I'm really trying to comb over craigslist to find a wrecked, on non running 87-94 IDI with a ZF in it for cheap. Hopefully I'll find one ;Sweet. The problem is finding a 4wd one, I've found some cheap 2wd ones, but those wont work.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Okay, talk to me about oils guys ;Sweet.

I'm going to go Amsoil synthetic oil's in my truck, but I need your guidance. First off, what kind of oil does a T-19 tranny take? My transfer case just takes regular old ATF correct? What kind of gear oil do my diffs require? And along with all of those questions, how much of each will I need for my 1.) T-19 tranny. 2.) For my transfer case (BW 1345). 3.) For my Dana 70 rear, and Dana 44 front?

Its going to be costly, but I heard through this guy I know (a lot of you know him as well LOL), that just changing the diff to synthetic yeilds on average 4.8% increase in fuel milage, which to me would be about .75MPG. Thats just for the diff!

Also, give me some idea's about additives. Should I run with, or without them during these tests? When I start burning WMO, should I add additives to it?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I use a little Howe's fuel conditioner with my waste oil to take out any moisture that might be in it. I filtered 80L this afternoon, $125 saved at the pumps.;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to get a ZF if your budget is in the 800 dollar range. I think you can use the ZF 5 from behind the until 97 PSD as well, but you better check to see if that's correct. Some things might be different though. I'd like to know if a synthetic in the T19 is a good idea and what kind to use. That's whats going in my truck along with a US Gear if I can find one cheap. In fact I think if you could get an aux. tranny that might even do better than the ZF 5 for a lot of highway driving.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i have syn in my t-19 it does fine the kind i use is called mistic and its 50w its what we run in our 10 13 15 speed trannys we get it from a company called remax but they changed there name and i cant rember it

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i put synthetic in my old 85 4 speed and it noticably improved shifting. i cant say for miliage i didnt watch that close. not sure what fluid it was though just that it was synthetic from a big chain store.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i put synthetic in my old 85 4 speed and it noticably improved shifting. i cant say for miliage i didnt watch that close. not sure what fluid it was though just that it was synthetic from a big chain store.

Well thats good to know.

Couple questions:

How much fluid does a T-19 hold?
How much fluid does a BW1345 hold?
How much fluid does a Dana 70 hold?
How much fluid does a Dana 44 hold?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I filled up last night, both tanks this time. I found out that with my selector on the front tank, that it was pulling from the rear, found that out right after I filled up last time. So I drove 87.25 miles (last milage was 122,222.5 kinda cool I thought). Anyways it either took 5.3 gallons, or 6.7 gallons, I didnt really pay attention (filled the back on first, and it was the front that I had the selector on). So I either got 13mpg or 16.4mpg. I was driving 70mph on most of that on I-5 so I dont doubt the 13mpg. I'll get some better results though this week ;Sweet.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well lets hear them, what all do you call your trucks?

Mine has officially been named "The Crop Duster" by my buddy while I was laying down some smoke for some people from school to walk through ;Sweet.

Well I filled up last night, both tanks this time. I found out that with my selector on the front tank, that it was pulling from the rear, found that out right after I filled up last time. So I drove 87.25 miles (last milage was 122,222.5 kinda cool I thought). Anyways it either took 5.3 gallons, or 6.7 gallons, I didnt really pay attention (filled the back on first, and it was the front that I had the selector on). So I either got 13mpg or 16.4mpg. I was driving 70mph on most of that on I-5 so I dont doubt the 13mpg. I'll get some better results though this week ;Sweet.

Ummmmm.... Until you fix the truck, get some self control on that right foot, slow down and see what it's really capable of you have no reason to ***** about fuel economy.;Poke

Right now you should just be happy it runs and gets you where you need to go because you don't have a clue as to what it's really getting with your driving style, nor what it's capable of using proven practices for best fuel economy.

Ain't trying to rag on ya, just call 'em as I see them. I remember being 16 with wheels.:peelout :smoke: :rock: :drunk: :moon: -Showtits ;burnout :bail

:cheers: :popcorn

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Ummmmm.... Until you fix the truck, get some self control on that right foot, slow down and see what it's really capable of you have no reason to ***** about fuel economy.;Poke

Right now you should just be happy it runs and gets you where you need to go because you don't have a clue as to what it's really getting with your driving style, nor what it's capable of using proven practices for best fuel economy.

Ain't trying to rag on ya, just call 'em as I see them. I remember being 16 with wheels.:peelout :smoke: :rock: :drunk: :moon: -Showtits ;burnout :bail

:cheers: :popcorn

I do hear ya on that. I wont be paying for fuel until after summer from what they told me. So, I'm just going about business driving like I normally do (sure I lay smoke a little :D). I'm just trying to get a realistic fuel milage number for my driving. Trust me, I do fully intend to drop back in speed, and all that good stuff during this experiment. Remember this is an experiment, I have to have variables (the things I am doing to the truck), and constants (driving style).

I hardly ever drive 70mph....I was on I-5 going northbound towards Tualitan (near Portland)...65mph during the time I was driving puts you in the slow lane, and I was running late to an appointment. Plus, I figured out my selector was acting up, so I filled up afterwards.

Am I wasting fuel I dont have to pay for, yes, I do realize that. I really ought to slow down just for the sake of saving my parents money, I realize that as well. I'm just trying to rack some miles up driving like I normally do. That run was obviously pretty bad because I was driving so fast.

And right now, you are right, I really dont have the right to ***** about fuel economy. In the begging stages I was freaking out a little, hopefully you can partially understand, that is a huge fiscal burden that is being placed on me out of the blue, no real warning ahead of time.

I do know that N/A my truck did pretty good of fuel, but now its gone down a little after I turbo'ed it, because well its a little funner of a truck to drive. I did catch myself a couple times trying to catch up to this damn blue toyota tacoma, the driver is a ****. I was following him doing 65mph, and I was like, ya know, who cares, what does this prove...so I slowed down. You have to realize that once I got my turbo on my driving became very aggresive and I became accustomed to it, I'm trying to break that.

No hard feelings man, I might have called that if I saw someone else post that up to ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well thats good to know.

Couple questions:

How much fluid does a T-19 hold?
How much fluid does a BW1345 hold?
How much fluid does a Dana 70 hold?
How much fluid does a Dana 44 hold?

i dont remember how much mine took but i know at A-zone they could look that up for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon