Fuel/Air in lines leak

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the shop I took the truck too, STILL did not get the returns lines correct. It starts really hard in the morning, but fires right away after it is warm. Plus, I can see where there is fuel dripping from the back side of the engine and leaves a spot on the ground when it sits. So, I figured I would get in there and see if I could fix it, even though I wanna take it back up there and tell them to fix.. First off, I tore all that Banks Ram Air crap off, the ducting that comes all the way from the grill and the mount that used to hold the canister up. Look pretty nice now, clean looking and I can hear a little turbo noise when I have the windows up, no real difference as far as I can tell with driving, maybe a little faster boost, but nothing to write home about, just gave me a good picture of where/routing the intercooler tubes will go to. Overall, it looks pretty cool with the K&N just hanging there off the cast inlet elbow. I like it, and since it hasn't degraded performance and will probably actually help out on the open road I am all for it and would reccomend it to anyone with that funky Banks Ram air. They should have done it like that from the git go.. More money to put all the extra plastic and brackets in there..

But, even with all the new found space, I still could not find the leak. Kinda sucks, being I HATE fuel leaks, but it is liveable for now. I will probably take it back up there this week and have them fixer up correctly. I did finally move my external fuel screw out the last couple of threads, I had it pretty well out, but just wanted to make sure I was getting all she had. The truck does run really GOOD now though. I would like to run a few 0-60's for you guys, but until I can afford to blast away some fuel, I will wait. Scotty

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
Scotty...got any pictures of the new intake setup? I have the old style banks so I don't think I have the elbow you mounted to. I definetly want to get an open air filter on there but I need to find an intake hat that will fit the turbo first. Banks made the air filter/intake hat all one piece. cookoo It is very hard to get everything lined up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scotty, you might want to do a search on "John Air" I think that is what we called it. Slightly better mod than what you did, and easily doable with not much $$. As for the return lines, I'd buy a kit and do it yourself. I get the feeling those wrench monkeys you paid are OK at the heavy stuff, but the small stuff may not be their forte'.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, but I paid to have it correct, but I cannot afford to buy more return line kits. I just paid for a new one when they redid it. It kind of burns my **** a little, but I am going to stick with them at least until they get this correct. I paid the money and I wanna make them get the hint.

As for the intake deal. The drive I make every morning is kinda my little test bed for EGT's and such, and with that new set up, it seems to run a little warmer on the EGT's. Probably close to a 100* more. I am sure that it is because of the hot air it is pulling from around the engine, and not fresh cold air from in front of the truck. Not a big deal right now, because I wanted to see what I kind of space I need for the intercooler tubes. I will do a John air set up once I get everything else in place. I wanna try and gt the actual filter as close to the front of the truck as possible. After seeing what a difference it made in EGT's, I think it would be worth it. The really nice thing it does do is provide some space on the inside of the engine compartment. Should be fairly easy to run the piping with the extra room. Now, maybe, this following weekend I will tear down the front end and get the intercooler mounted. Then, all I really need to do is find some money on the dieing money tree to get someone to build be some pipes. Already have the intake cover. Scotty

Fiver, don't have any pictures of the intake deal yet. Kinda temporary set up, but I can snap a few later on if you want them. Scotty