frost plug?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also lost a frost plug, or whatever its called on the drivers side near the oil pan I believe, I will need to get one of those as well, anything special about them?
I measures that it was a one Inch id plug, is there a special tool I need to put this in?

sassyrel

Reaction score
there IS a special tool made for this..some will tell you ,,it aint needed..pay no heed to them..the original,,and ford replacements,,are ss...and have a machined edge,for a reason...you will need to clean the hole good,,and not with abrasives..take edge of screwdriver, to take out any old sealant..if rsdsl will respond,he can tell you what to seal the edge of the soft plug will,,so no worrys in future..someone posted a cad drawing of the tool a while back..

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It is 1 1/2 inch diameter, and you need to buy the replacements from Ford (they come 7 to a pack). Yes, they are SS and have ground diameters. Yes, there is a special tool you can buy, borrow, or make. Yes, you need to clean out the core plug hole very well and use Hylomar or some other good sealant when replacing the plug, or you will be replacing it again before you want to.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ze-plug-Tool-Plans&highlight=freeze+plug+tool

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a 1.5 inch stainless concave disc, they seat by "grabbing" the block when indented with a tool, I use a hammer method as I have done hundreds but the tool is preferred. Permatex aviation seal in the hole , not an easy task in the truck, they dont normally "fall out" something is up. Do you have the old one? is it brass or steel, both a big no no.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like you have some problems. These are factory stainless steel plugs and they don't usually rot or drop out. No repair shop knows enough to use the proper tool nor do they know to use only the factory plugs. As Russ posted above. The factory plugs have a ground edge that cuts into the block. If your measuring this and you feel its a 1 inch plug... Well yout really needing some help because its not a place to be guessing about how toos. From what you described so far I'm thinking you have never done much if any of this kind of work before.. Now please don't take that as a shot at you for maybe not knowing whats really going on with this particular job... We all were there once too. This plug problem cost me a 5000 engine that had 5200 miles on the rebuild... The ****** shop installed brass plugs and they fell out the first time the coolant sysyem built pressure after 3 miles of driveing. The second time this happened was 5200 miles longer in the life of the engine. Loosing al the coolant will not register on the dash or aftermarket gauges because the coolant is not coverying the sender... Really bad problem. What we need on the cooling systems is a low level and a low pressure alarm.. Sadly we don't have that... So please tell us more about the plugs and why your having this post up here. All of us want to help before its too late to help...

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I appreciate the info...And no I'm not an expert. The head gasket blew when I was pushing it to hard. I parked it for a few months, started working on it And saw the hole in the block. Now I'm not a true mechanic, but I can do ok. I know how to use a micrometer, And a tape measure. I got just over an inch for measurement. I had a frost plug that was an inch And an eighth And it was to small. I had one that was an inch And a quarter, And it was to big. 1.5 inches for inside diameter is not the right size. Unless my micrometer And tape measure are wrong. I'm calling ford now to get the plugs. I hope I find some good news

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try later. I can't get the plug until Monday anyways. Most frustrating job I have done on my vehicle... My lack of experience contributes to this. The 1.5 inch must refer to the diameter on the lip, not diameter of actual hole

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You don't put the plug into the hole, that is a rough cast diameter. The plugs take purchase in the shallow machined register. It looks like a small step around the hole in the block. They are similar to the plugs used in Model A fords, not the cup style used in late model cars. That is why there is a special tool to install them. I was wondering where you found a one inch hole in the block. That register is why you need to *carefully and thoroughly* clean the register before trying to install a new plug.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for a stupid question... But why wouldn't an expandable rubber plug work? Would it last ten k miles or blow out right away? Didn't the high HP Hypermax idi run rubber plugs?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meant for short term use, they break down and leak...then your NO futher ahead.

DO it once do it RIGHT

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Something is not right about a freeze plug just falling out of the block. And as posted above by knuckledragger. The concave plug sits in the machined groove that about 1.500 inches diameter. I think the actuall Ford plug is 1.497 in size to fit there. When the plug is installed the hammering it in expands the sides to bite into the cast iron so it holds will. Only ture way for a new person doing this job is to get someone that has used and done this job.. Or just make sure you use the special tool for this. That tool is nearly goof proof. It can only push the plug into the groove so far. The design is to stop pushing it in when the limit of the tools design has been reached. Now the reason that plug fell out is important. You tell us the head gasket blew. That can add pressure to the cooling system but not so much that a plug pops out. Something had to knock it out or it was never in there properly and its an aftermarket plug. See if its magnetic first or brass. That tells us for some reason the engine was rebuild and improper plugs installed. Please answer these questions so we can better help you fit this right and no other plugs will pop out...

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I sound misinformed, but here is what I know. Truck ran good up until I blew head gasket. Last may, I was hot rodding the truck And put to much boost to it evidently. I heard a "swoosh" And white smoke came from my hood...or condensation... And my fenders were wet. I drove it a mile, nicely, And parked it for a few days. Then I started it for a minute or so to put on trailer. Hauled it to a place where it sat until mid fall. I hauled it to my uncles shop And it sat until now. I see no frost plugs anywhere, And now there is another one missing on the same side (drivers) that I just found tonight. This one is under the motor mount. All I see is 2 wholes in the block where they go.no plugs anywhere. The passenger side is good

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
At this point if you have more than 1 missing freeze plug and one of them is behind the engine mount, then I would pull the engine and buy the proper tool for these plugs and do the job once.
I had this same problem I lost one then another and another.
So I bought the tool and did it right and I havent lost a plug yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin