Front Tank Volume

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
How big is the front tank supposed to be?

I put 20.7 gallons into mine yesterday and it was just about bone dry, as I got an air surge and then return to normal about 30 seconds after I started it up again leaving the pump :D

I thought they were 17-19 gallons. This was the first time I'd tried to drain it. I rolled out of Indianapolis with it on E and made it all the way to Lafayette (~60 miles) and never switched tanks

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
shame on you, you've been around long enough to know to use the forum search
19 gallons
did you fill the vent and filler neck? that could make up the difference, of course if it's been replaced I've seen some replacements that are 21 and 23 gallons
heck, the pump could be off a little for that matter

Not sure the exact size but I do know my front tank last about 50 miles longer than the back one does.

that's because your showerhead's broken off in the rear tank, either that or it's dented ;Sweet

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Well all my searches said 17-19 gallons, but I was almost 2 gallons above that!cookoo Hence my confusion

It is a long bed with a steel tank. I do know that the previous owner replaced it all shortly before I got the truck. So it could be an aftermarket 21 gallon tank, I was just surprised it wasn't 19.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My recollection is that the automatic transmission trucks had a 21 gallon tank and the manual ones have a 19. Can't tell you why or even where I got that piece of information.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 21-gallon tank that went in SOME automatic transmission trucks was plastic. A steel tank SHOULD be 19 gallons. But indeed, it could be a replacement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger