Front Tank Float Caution

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About a year ago, the float on my front tank sank. It wasn't the original one but it was probably a decade or more old. That time, it was easy to find the right float but this time was a bit tough. I got one at LMC Truck. Two actually, because my late '80s Ford tractor uses the same one and they were having a sale. About 10 days ago, I noted the front fuel tank was reading empty when I knew it was full. I ran fuel out until I could pop out the sender and sure enough, the new float was sunk. It took some scrutiny, but I found a spot where the soldering wasn't good and that's where it leaked. LMC sells decent products, and I have no hate on for them but if you buy a fuel tank float from them, scrutinize the solder work where the two halves are put together. I used the second one to replace the first and will see if they will replace the float that sank.

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plastic ones are available as well. I like setting them on a good flashlight to look for pinholes in the casting.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it's a metal float, just re-solder it

I could and I may but I will first see if LMC will make it right. The tricky part of resoldering a float is getting the fuel out of it first. It never drains as quickly as it fills ( : < ), unless you drill a hole first.Which then becomes another hole to solder.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those little floats are kind of expensive, paid $14 for one from Carqest. If you resolder put as little as possible on it. I 've got one if you need it.
Are you in Wapak?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bill,

I had a second one bought as a spare, so am good for now, thanks! I'm on a farm near Kalida.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What about using JB Weld??? Soldier is really difficult for some. Keeping the repair small and light in weight would seem to be the best suggestion.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get the fuel out use a 1/16" inch drill. Drill a hole on both flat side of the float, one for fuel one to let air in. Use a electric solder iron, rosin core solder to seal the drilled holes. Plop the float into hot water to find the leak, the hot water will expand the air and you should see bubbles from the leak, solder leak. Do not use a torch it will melt the thin brass.

Black dawg

Reaction score
What about using JB Weld??? Soldier is really difficult for some. Keeping the repair small and light in weight would seem to be the best suggestion.

The product used for sealing the inside of gas tanks works very well to coat the entire float with. I have used it on carb floats that had too many pinholes to solder, but no replacement float available. The trick I learned with this is to dip the float in the sealer, and then rig up a way to hang it in a cool (temp) place. keeping it cool keeps the air in the float from expanding and creating pinholes in the sealer.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually it is remarkable easy with a soldering iron (35-50 watt) and high lead solder(use electrical not plumbing). Make sure the soldering iron is hot and tinned. Never had one get so hot you cannot handle it with your hands.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online