front suspension 2x4

rterril02

Reaction score
I recently bought a 1986 f250 with the 6.9. My uncle, who I bought it from, told me it has bad "bump steering". I was wondering what the set-up should look like. So far all I can tell is it only has tie rods. I was thinking that maybe its bad because there was no track bar, steering stabilizer, or sway bar. I don't know what was stock but I don't like dealing with bump steer. I've done some research on the issue but I am a rookie. I have the twin beams up front not the single beam. Thanks

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some have sway bars. I would check the bushings where the ttb mounts to the cross member under the motor. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth to look for worn parts. Also jack it up to check the king pins

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can add a steering stabilizer, put one on mine. It does help.
How many miles on it?

Rick

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A steering stabilizer will "help."
But it's just a bandaid to bigger problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my sway bar off over the summer when I did my front end mods. I haven't noticed a difference in handling. I think the suspension is stiff enough that it really doesn't matter. I would check all your bushings and get an alignment.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford did not sell their trucks with an unacceptable amount of bumpsteer from the factory. If it's totally stock, look for something bad or worn out like the other guys suggested. Don't worry about the theory of bumpsteer unless your suspension is not stock.