Front Page question

epin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wonder if you can move this
untitled3.bmp
above the text. no that won't work, there does seem to be a gap in the center. Overall I really like it. one site has a very difficult forums button to locate.

epin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great! I like it best on 1024x768.

Last edited:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I like that better. Now we need to get some trucks on teh front page so ppl know what the heck is burning the oil! hahahahaha.

I can stretch the banner to teh full 1024 tonight, and I think I want to shrink it a little height-wise too. I didnt know how big of a banner so went with 800 (assumed 800x600). I still program with the assumption ppl have cheap computers and dialup internet (as you can prolly tell by my own webpage hahaha).

Strictly Diesel

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
Darryl,

Don't stretch the banner that big. If someone is running a smaller screen resolution, it will give them left/right scrollbar at the bottom and some of the text on the front page will be off their screen.

I would say to make the banner about 750px wide MAX so that there is some border around it on an 800px wide screen. Shrink the height up a bit to leave more room for "content". Otherwise, it looks *******!

Strictly Diesel

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Reaction score
Something else I noticed. Both banner ads have been converted to .BMP files (presumably by Front Page). You should probably get those links pointed back to the .jpg/.gif format that they were originally created in.

epin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you make the cummins stand out a bit more?
and the ram's head.

Last edited:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see what I can do. The "flames" is actually a 100x100 jpg that I rotated 90 degrees, copied like 9 times across, and 3 times down then used the "DODGE" tool to blur the join lines. (They didnt have a "FORD" tool, must email Adobe..) I lost a lot of detail using the dodge tool, but I think I can come up with something to bring the flame back out some more.

800 pixels? 1024 pixels? welcome to the world of "making all browsers happy". Sucks dont it :D :D . I do like banners that go all the way across, but your right, on smaller resolutions, you end up with the left/right scrollbars. Thats why I always try to keep my images around 800 wide max, so that they arent too large to download, and should fit on "most" browsers. I also try to use "percentages" on my frame widths instead of fixed pixels. I program all of my pages in RAW HTML. No programs like frontpage, or dreamweaver or anything. Just NOTEPAD.

I do like the high contrast color scheme. Makes it easier to read. But it feels like it needs something for an overall background image or some little highlight in the background. Gentle tho, without overpowering the text and links. and without screwing up the text contrast.

Max Power

Reaction score
ITPDiesel said:
Something else I noticed. Both banner ads have been converted to .BMP files (presumably by Front Page). You should probably get those links pointed back to the .jpg/.gif format that they were originally created in.

Yeah this was just a temporary butcher job. That banners will be jpg and delivered by phpads.