Front Page question

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When should the main "Front Page" be restored? Are you still waiting for DNS updates? Im still getting the "we are changing servers, wait for redirect" message when going to www.oilburners.net .

Im waiting for the frontpage to come back up so I can steal the site logo and make a link on my webpage to here.

Max Power

Reaction score
Well I haven't decided which route I am going to go with yet. The DNS changes are all done but when I updated VB sofware I lose all hacks etc. So that is why the portal is gone. We actually don't really have a logo. I wish we did. :(

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Max Power said:
We actually don't really have a logo. I wish we did. :(

Honestly, I suck at graphic and web design, but I did manage to pull this:

http://www.dhraonline.com/catalog/images/DHRAshopbanner.gif

out of my a$$ one night. Did a couple of them for Eric McBride like 2 years ago as potential bumper stickers, but it looks like they went with site banners instead. I should hit him up for a t-shirt for that ;)

I made http://www.forgotton.net/links/forddhra.jpg as a Ford specific version.

I'll attempt something maybe tonight, but no promises on anything fancy, but maybe I can trigger an idea and someone with more talent can go further.

As for the portal you have now, even just a basic HTML frontpage wouldnt hurt. Youd have to manually edit it for changes (since it wouldnt be a VB hack) but thats not a stopping point.

Im not familiar enough with VB. I was working with PHPBB when I was hosting a temporary forum on my server.

Max Power

Reaction score
Pretty cool indeed!

I'll try to figure out where to incorporate it.

Thanks!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its OK. I think there is room for improvement, but thats about the extent of my Photoshop skillz right there. If anyone wants the PSD file to make changes, they are welcome to it, just let me know.

I had what I thought was a better one, but i hit the purge button on accident and hadnt made a "save file" yet and I couldnt recreate it cause I didnt know what I did to make it the first time. Hate it when that happens.

Max Power

Reaction score
Hmmm, back to the drawing board. Doesn't even fit in 1024x768

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasnt really picking any color pattern. I just was trying to come up with something that used an old Oiler somewhere. The first one I did the WORDS actually had the flame look (but not actual flames) and was kinda cool until my fat fingers nuked it.

I was thinking it would be more for a link exchange banner or opening page header than a "thoughout the site" kind of image.

I added the flames and logos in the background just out of desperation. I couldnt think of what else to put in back. Maybe a single shade and some ghosted trucks belching black smoke or something?

I went with the black letters because, well, oil is black.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
ya gotta keep the fire (color), that just makes it stand out better. how much more creative can you get with the banners?

architect-builder

Reaction score
Daryl,

If you could email it to me, I'll see what I could do with it to make it fit. BTW, It looks awesome, very nice job.

Barrett

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barrett,

Long time no see stranger, how are things?

Mike

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
When should the main "Front Page" be restored? Are you still waiting for DNS updates? Im still getting the "we are changing servers, wait for redirect" message when going to www.oilburners.net .

Im waiting for the frontpage to come back up so I can steal the site logo and make a link on my webpage to here.

I don't like being redirected either. but since OB is my preset home page I changed it from:
http://www.oilburners.net
to
http://oilburners.net/forums/index.php?
Now I don't have to wait.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online