Front End Wander

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
My truck has developed a weird front end problem. It will jerk slightly, suddenly one way or the other. Doesn't do it all the time. It did it once back in November. Then didn't do it for weeks. It has been getting worse. If you turn wheels from stop to stop several times it will go away. All the ball joints are tight no play as well as tie rods.
So yesterday I replaced power steering pump because it was leaking at the tank and I was suspecting a worn pump may be the cause of the problem (Ford manual states for front end wander check flow and psi). Still Does the same thing. So I was going to replace steering box and I disconnected the tie rod at the pitman arm. I discovered that the wheels wont steer by hand, not even with two people trying to turn them. Just my luck that I get a truck with 146,000 miles with what looks to be like factory ball joints, that have zero play in them, which is usually not the case, but are too tight and wont turn. I have never seen that before, usually ball joints get loose and sloppy.
So now I'm going to rebuild front end. I have to decide on what brand parts to use. I am leaning toward Spicer Life series Non greasable u joints. Spicer advertises that they are their best.
So has anyone else used them?
What brand ball joints Tie rods have been the best to use?
Should I replace steering box also? I did adjust it about a half of turn last year to take some play out.
Anyone have the part numbers for u joints, tie rods and ball joints? Thanks

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I got spicer part numbers
AXLE U JOINT SPICER SPL55-3X
BALL JOINT KIT UPPER AND LOWER 70023-X

1995voyagerES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has developed a weird front end problem. It will jerk slightly, suddenly one way or the other. Doesn't do it all the time.

Had the same problem with my 88 F350 a while back (D60 front axle) - was the trackbar - worn out bushings...

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck did the same thing, it was dry/seized up bearing caps on the front axle u-joints.

Jack up one side of the front axle, lock the hub and give the tire a sharp spin. When the alignment guy did this I watched the front end jerk.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the parts list in my D60 thread (link in my signature below). I have all the part numbers for spicer and XRF parts. Your original ball joints are probably dry and seizing up.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck was zerking side to side. Turned out to be frozen up front axle shaft u-joints like SLC97SR5. If I ran with the hubs locked in it would drive fine, but with the hubs unlocked it ******. Replaced the U-joints and all was well.

MBlaney - Probably has the best Dana 60 rebuild article around with part numbers.

I've heard good things about XRF balljoints and tie rods, but they aren't the easiest to get a hold of.

- Jeremy

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
x3 on the Front Knuckle U-joints. Knew someone that had this same exact problem in a Bricknose Gasser..... took a while and a couple different shops to find the issue.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Like said already, axle joints, and this happens alot more than people realize.

Spicer life joints all the way. The spicer greasables are good to, if you like to grease stuff.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Well, I suspected steering box thats why I disconnected tie rod at pitman arm. Thats when I locked hubs and spun tire to looks at axle joints and when I discovered that even with two fat guys you could not steer the front end by hand. So it's either bound up ball joints or u joints or both. So I decided then I was doing it all, tie rods too even though tie rods seem to be fine. So today I ordered moog tie rods, spicer life u joints and spicer ball joints, axle seals and needle bearings, wheel seals. Wheel bearings I'm waiting to clean and inspect.

I got them from my friend Brian who owns a speed shop, Waynes Speed Shop in South Amboy NJ for you locals. Brian is a fellow Ironworker who fell and got paralyzed and is in a wheel chair. If any of you locals need anything automotive give him a call he gets good prices and is about the nicest guy you will ever meet. I buy a lot of stuff from floor mats to engine parts from him, AND I FEEL GREAT THAT I GAVE MY MONEY TO A LOCAL GUY, not some chain store.

Thanks for all the input. I'm waiting on the steering box and I hope the bleeding will stop! Did I mention I pulled the front drive shaft and the u joints feel good but center cv bearing in the double cardian is shot, That needs new yoke welded to the tube and complete rebuild. Drive shaft shop wants $365. I need to track down the part number for weld on yoke and the rest of the cv bearing parts, and I'm going to weld it my self then have drive shaft shop balance it.
Did I also mention I hate double cardian joints. They dont last any longer than the single joints and are expressive to replace.

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Yep definitely axle shaft joints. Just replaced mine with same problem and several years ago had same problem on my other truck and chased it with steering components for a bit before I figured it out. Sloppy/dry/rusty ujoints can pull pretty hard and it is usually random or sporadic.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Well it was the u axle u joints. The caps were seized to the cross and we had to cut the cross to get them out. It also wore out the lock out hubs so I had to replaced them also. I did ball joints, tie rods, new wheel bearings and needle bearings in the spindle while it was apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online