Front end is shot, need some advise please...

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1800 to gut the front end of his junker

Hey now, I resemble that comment!!! :backoff lol

Pretty sure he's thinking you might have to because the bolt's that hold the make believe center pivot brackets are probably jacked up, and if your motor mounts are shot they won't fit out between the oil pan and the crossmember. There's a LOT more to working on other people's **** than most realize, warranty, insurance and accountability come to mind. $1800 to gut the front end of his junker, re install and fix the rear brakes doesn't seem that bad. Wether the rusted out pickup is worth it...well that's up to the op.

A guy has to make a living, and if he does good work, he deserves good money. Unfortunately there's only one way to find out if he does good work or not. One thing's for sure, there are a lot of shops around that have good shop rates that do lousy work.

Just to make sure I have my info correct, the D50 to D60 swap is a straight bolt on swap correct? No special brackets to be made, holes to drill out, no odd ball block off plates to put in from another engine, no 1 in a million odd ball spindle that I may have to find? I'm basically telling the mechanic to do the swap because it should all bolt up with no problems and I'd like to make sure that I'm not lying through my teeth....

Thanks,
Mark

ksingltn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, it bolts up. I did mine a little less than a year ago, and my brother and I swapped both axles (went from 410 to 355 so had to swap rear too) without a lift and with air tools in about 8 hours, so just the front should be pretty fast for a shop. See my previous post for the sticky points I encountered.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, it bolts up. I did mine a little less than a year ago, and my brother and I swapped both axles (went from 410 to 355 so had to swap rear too) without a lift and with air tools in about 8 hours, so just the front should be pretty fast for a shop. See my previous post for the sticky points I encountered.

Sorry, I had missed your first reply. Skipped and went to the second page by mistake. Now it makes sense why he's a little concerned about doing the swap since it's been a while. There's a chance he can't remember these parts. I know I sure wouldn't remember it.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would find a dana 50 or 60 on craigslist and put her on myself, if you don't work on these trucks yourself you ought to buy new, because it'll eat you alive in repairs. I see them all the time around here from $100 to $500, need to look for someone parting out a truck that's usually the cheapest route. Make sure they are geared right though!

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, next question. Anyone know where I can find a D60? When the mechanic checked this morning, the D60 was one axle his supplier didn't have. He has a few more places to check, but it's not looking real good right now.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
craigslist, sounds like when I do my dana 60 swap I need to take my 50 up to you guys, around here your lucky to get $50 for it (ones been sitting on craigslist for 5 months at $100 now)

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack, but is there a big difference in the mounting and steering parts on a Dana 60 GM front? Or should I wait for a Ford diff to save time/money?

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of people asking $900 for dana 60's but not a whole lot of selling going on, of course there's a 97 f-350 for $21,000 that's been for sale for like 2 years now. Gotta say they are persistent. still think you should find an add for a part out and take the whole front end/suspension, bet you could get it for less than $500.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this were my weekend toy I would do that, but it's not. It's my daily driver. Right now I'm forking out money for a rental so that I can get back and forth to work. I can't afford to wait for a part out to become available. I need to get it back on the road and soon.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not meaning to hijack, but is there a big difference in the mounting and steering parts on a Dana 60 GM front? Or should I wait for a Ford diff to save time/money?
Chevy d60 are low pinion and the diff is on the passenger side of the truck. Find a ford.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this were my weekend toy I would do that, but it's not. It's my daily driver. Right now I'm forking out money for a rental so that I can get back and forth to work. I can't afford to wait for a part out to become available. I need to get it back on the road and soon.
Yeah sometimes you have to pay for getting things done quick, I've had to do it myself but you know what would fix this is another IDI as a back up truck LOL. Go explain that to the old lady I'll bet she'll go right along with it.:sly

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would go over swell so long as that other idi had a good set of captains chairs in it that I could sleep in... lol