Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian answerd a thread about a knock/tic...
The culprit was #8 as I recall.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's replies. Really appreciated.
I plan on picking up another stethoscope today since my old one disappeared. Hopefully that will help isolate the ticking sound. The drivers valve cover was removed yesterday and didn't see or hear anything unusual. Also turned on engine & checked the rocker holes where pushrod sits & they were all pumping oil.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The best thing about a roller lifter cam is there isn't the usual breaking like any other cam. We just have a roller rolling on the cam lobe so there is no wearin needed. You do have an issue but finding it can be tuff. I still feel its an injector and those are easier to have checked than a lifter. If you don't have the means to check them send them to Russ or Mel.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
acc cable knock

I had a knock caused by the accelerator cable on # 8 injector line. I could hear the knock in the cab especially on the drivers side, or in the engine compartment right up against the firewall by #8. I could not hear it at the exhaust. Sorry to say but it doesn't sound like your problem.
You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's a little update. Pulled the valve cover off and the noise seems the loudest on the rocker closest to the a/c compressor (front engine). Pulled rockers off on that cylinder and they looked ok along with pushrods.
Gary, i cracked injector line again and the clicking really doesn't seem to go away but it's hard to tell. So my next guess would be the lifter might have something wrong with it. Kind of has me stumped why ticking would come out of exhaust pipe tho..... And why they would foul up being so new.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the lifters off drivers side. Don't see anything wrong with any of them. No obvious wear marks or bearing play. :/. Not sure if one or more could still be bad.
While I am this far, I will take out injectors and get them pop tested again.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicked o ring' speck of grit' is all it takes.
Clean up and flush them, if you are sure they are as new.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you talked directly/face to face with the shop about this issue?
You paid' they should lend at least a hand.
Cash is allways tight, buying new to replace new...:dunno

Other things to look at....
The list would be
Anything you did not take off the old eng.
Anything that had not yet gotten broke in on old eng.

And that little voice in yer head.
Keep looking, if you have time.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to the machine shop, no I have not yet. The heads ran great on other engine and didn't require any additional machining when I took them in to get inspected. I will give them a call Monday and see what they think. Don't know what else it could be at this point without throwing new parts at it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Save cash spend time,
Old redneck/good ole boy saying.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you. Spent plenty of time doing this build correctly which is why I am not second guessing my work. Took the time to do it right but seems like something is always bound to happen. Wondering if I should pull this head off. Haven't decided on that yet. Lifters will be coming soon & taking injectors to get re-pop tested again. Good thing she ain't my DD.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac