Fresh build, smoke, stumped

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I am seriously contemplating my existence right now.

I got my engine together, at idle it is running fine, has a slight haze out the exhaust.

The build;
90cc r&d pump
Stage 1 r&d injectors
Comp spring heads with new head gaskets
093 ats turbo kitIntercooled
Still has stock mechanical lift pump

As soon as you rev it up a little, it starts to miss randomly and just BELCHES white smoke that smells like unburnt diesel.

Return to idle, all smooths out.

I can't check timing, because you're supposed to set it at 2000rpm, and it runs too poorly to even check it. I tried a few times to adjust it. When I initially got it running it sounded like it had lifter tick. I retarded the timing a little, and the tick went away, and had less smoke at idle. Still can't rev it up.

Here's my fuel pressure at idle. It remains the same at all engine speeds.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is really bumming me out right now, I have a bunch of trips planned that require the use of my truck. Any advice is appreciated.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am seriously contemplating my existence right now.

I got my engine together, at idle it is running fine, has a slight haze out the exhaust.

The build;
90cc r&d pump
Stage 1 r&d injectors
Comp spring heads with new head gaskets
093 ats turbo kitIntercooled
Still has stock mechanical lift pump

As soon as you rev it up a little, it starts to miss randomly and just BELCHES white smoke that smells like unburnt diesel.

Return to idle, all smooths out.

I can't check timing, because you're supposed to set it at 2000rpm, and it runs too poorly to even check it. I tried a few times to adjust it. When I initially got it running it sounded like it had lifter tick. I retarded the timing a little, and the tick went away, and had less smoke at idle. Still can't rev it up.

Here's my fuel pressure at idle. It remains the same at all engine speeds.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is really bumming me out right now, I have a bunch of trips planned that require the use of my truck. Any advice is appreciated.
Fwiw fuel pressure doesn’t necessarily mean that you are getting adequate flow…

I have torn into one of these motors further than this, biggest difference being the fact that I am running an electric pump. I went with Holley, probably should have gone with Walbro…

I never did have this problem after building the motor in my 86, which is a 90 7.3 with Hypermax turbo, studs, valve springs, etc…

Could be bad air intrusion, or maybe your fuel filter has a bunch of air in it. That happened once with my service truck, also mech lift pump.
I would take your fuel filter off, and fill it full of ATF, start it, let it run a few seconds or until sound changes, then shut er down and let sit for a little bit. That worked for me.

I am going to assume that it’s a fueling issue…

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the advance solenoid disconnected? If it’s disconnected and you advance the pump does the white smoke reduce?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
And here's a video to help.
Taking it, it did sound like it has fuel knock. Hopefully I don't have issues with the injectors or pump, I know another member here had issues with r&d injectors recently..
I did make sure to fully bleed the air out before trying to actually start it, I got a consistent clean stream from the Schrader and even pulses out of the loose lines.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Is the advance solenoid disconnected? If it’s disconnected and you advance the pump does the white smoke reduce
Advance was disconnected and engine temp at 170f

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it wasn’t a brand new IP and you cranked it advance to test it, I would be saying IP and injectors after comp test

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'd love to do a compression test, but my lovely harbor freight one is broken, and frankly I should probably take a break from bending over this dang engine, its been a long 3 days

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also I know you’re beat and probably don’t want to touch it anymore but since you don’t have working tools to diagnose ATM I’d pull the valve covers and start it and make sure all your lifters are functioning correctly

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
When it was advanced and you said ticking was the white smoke and idle haze present?
The ticking went away when I retarded the timing of the pump. Smoke cleared out a little but its been consistent.
I never hooked the timing advance up while I was bleeding air out and doing my initial startup, was planning to hook up after.

@Kdo58 I do, and I'm definitely considering it.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And here's a video to help.
Taking it, it did sound like it has fuel knock. Hopefully I don't have issues with the injectors or pump, I know another member here had issues with r&d injectors recently..
I did make sure to fully bleed the air out before trying to actually start it, I got a consistent clean stream from the Schrader and even pulses out of the loose lines.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Definitely fuel knock. @Kdo58 might be on to something with using your stock injectors.

Justin will take care of you, if it is injectors, tell him. He’ll fix you up.