Freeze-12 Question?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a few spare cans (38 of them) laying around here.... I like spare parts..

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some garage cleaning at my folks place and found 2 of the 14 oz cans of R-12, a 30 lb container of R-12, and a 30 lb of R-22. I guess I should get rid of this stuff since I have no use for it.

Ken

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh crap...I suppose I should work on either refit of R134 or just add R12 to my damn Bronco it's soooo freakin hot here in the summer and mines puttin out little to just above none of cool air.

IHWillys you wanna get rid of some of that thar R12 like say two 14OZ cans?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some garage cleaning at my folks place and found 2 of the 14 oz cans of R-12, a 30 lb container of R-12, and a 30 lb of R-22. I guess I should get rid of this stuff since I have no use for it.

Ken

Depending on how much is left in that 30# can of R12 it could be worth hundreds of dollars.... I believe there will be a tare weight on the can so you can weigh it and subtract the tare weight to figure how much freon is left.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much is left in that 30# can of R12 it could be worth hundreds of dollars.... .
It (could) be but for the most part the BIG demand for R12 is gone. Maybe some old classic truck/car guys might want it but my research shows not many shops/people will pay the big $$$ R12 demanded just a few years ago.;Really
Most everyone did the switch over to R134a.
If something ever happens to my R12 system and it goes empty I'll just refill with the much cheaper Freeze-12. ;Sweet

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I use HC12A which is propane based, if I remember keeructly, and it will flat freeze your **** out of the cab.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at using HC12A since you recommended it, read the website i like what i see, but how much would my truck need? Would the 3 cans be enough or do i need more. So i guess how much R 12 does the dealer installed A/C take?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Mine took two cans, but it wasn't empty. I guess you'd have to find out how much an empty system would hold.

Riley

Reaction score
I filled the old factory air conditioning system in a 69 ford truck three years ago with the freeze 12 and it still works great, no problems at all. I don't use the truck much, but it was 101 degrees a few days ago and I took it for a drive to see if the air still worked, about froze me out. It seems to be a good product and it is pretty economical too.