Frame rust

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
long story short, how much rust is to much? She was in an accident and not sure if I should even attempt to fix or just part her out. truck has had a plow on it since new but have not plowed with her in about 7 years.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Do you have a needle scaler?
That's fairly bad, but I bet there's worse out there. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a nice aggressive wire wheel and go to town.

Looks like it's "surface" rust and hasn't rotted badly; you'll know if it's still solid once you take a grinder or wire wheel to it.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen worse up here still pass inspection. Clean it off and slap some paint on there.

If you end up with lots of scaly rust, that can be deceiving. My buddy's truck looked ok but we started chipping off the scale and found it was worse than expected.

Yours doesn't look that bad.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Select the worst area and get it completely dried out by warming / heating (not cherry red, just evenly warm) with a torch. Heck you could probably even use a propane plumbers torch. When you get all of the moisture out, then wack it with a hammer. Most everything that's been compromised by rust will flake off. Sometimes it's very deceiving. What looks good is sometimes not... Another quick way is trying to weld in that area. If the rust is really flaky, the weld will not stick especially when wacked with a slag hammer.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a big air hammer I use to get the rust or rot off.

I have a front section of a 97 PSD frame if it would be of any use, in good shape too.

SIKPUP

Reaction score
We have 1995 F-150 4x4 gasser here in Pa , When I moved it in the driveway and the front coil spring popped out and rolled down the hill !! At that point I called it DONE !!

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I'll take the needle scaler to it this weekend, I think my main issue is I just don't have time to fix this truck anymore. Family, new business, and life has taken over and I have just lost interest in her. Wonder is anyone out here would want her as a project truck? or am I just better off parting her out since she needs a good amount of work.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I'll take the needle scaler to it this weekend, I think my main issue is I just don't have time to fix this truck anymore. Family, new business, and life has taken over and I have just lost interest in her. Wonder is anyone out here would want her as a project truck? or am I just better off parting her out since she needs a good amount of work.
I’ll take it!
Just drive it down to Texas firstLOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance