ford 2.3 turbo diesel

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is I would kill for one of these now. I loved my old 86' Ranger, and that thing was a tough SOB with the 2.3L gasser. Never big on power, but low end torque was great for a motor that size. The diesel was only available for a couple of years, so they are relatively rare. If I could find one in good condition, I'd snatch it up for the MPG alone. I bet on my commute I could get close to 40 out of it.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
All I know is I would kill for one of these now. I loved my old 86' Ranger, and that thing was a tough SOB with the 2.3L gasser. Never big on power, but low end torque was great for a motor that size. The diesel was only available for a couple of years, so they are relatively rare. If I could find one in good condition, I'd snatch it up for the MPG alone. I bet on my commute I could get close to 40 out of it.

there is one in Va right now for sale thats plastered all over the PA craigslists...its a red 4x4

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was some one in my town selling a rolling 4x4 chassis for a 1986 turbo ranger recently. Its still for sale as far as I know. Not sure how long it was sitting out in the rain with only a sheet of plywood to protect the engine and wiring but he already removed the transmission and it wasn't possible to even see it turn over. For $1200 I simply walked away without making an offer. He has since relisted it at least once on craigslist with a slight drop in price. Chances are I was the only one to even show up.

If I could, I would like to get a second complete parts truck so I can have the original 3 second glow plugs, correct tachometer and build the engine up for a bit more power. Re bore it, balanced, water cooled turbo, nice big intercooler, 2.5" exhaust. I know some one that told me a lot of tips and tricks to bring the power up almost 2 fold to 150 Hp using only FACTORY upgrades that mitsubishi used on their later engines. Let me tell you guys, 150 Hp and a diesel power band will move like nobody's business when put in an original body ranger! A small 2wd would likely be a handfull with that much torque. As it is, I had to swap to a single piece drive shaft from a 2000 ranger because it kept destroying the stock shaft.

It is possible to buy the later 4D56 (2.5L) engine as a crate motor for "off road" applications, but those are close to $5000. I know a lot of guys say they would kill for a diesel ranger, well, how bad do you really want one LOL? Keep in mind, that would be for a brand new drop in unit that is completely made in japan. Not rebuilt, or used as many JDM importers offer. Used imported engines can sometimes be had for less than $2000 but with an unknown history, I would at least check the compression and bottom end before dropping it in.

I think the latest trim 4D56T engine is close to 150 Hp rated in stock form. I think thats pretty good considering how much power the cummins 4BT has in stock form and it runs smoother, quieter, and weighs about half as much.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you tune it to run as well as some of us do for the 6.9s, than 40 MPG (US gallons!) is not out of line at all. Worst ours ever does is around 20 but thats a tall 4x4 with big canopy, rack, and 235 tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online