"Fogging" an IDI?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing...I believe and was told years ago...if storing an engine....CHANGE OIL FIRST! do not store with dirty engine oil, the contaminants can eat at bearings over time, this was especially important for diesels prior to low sulfer diesel, now it's likely less so.

If it was me, I'd still do a full engine oil change prior to stowage, fresh oil on bearings in my head...is better than old oil for sure!

JM2CW

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgot about changing the oil, but that was the customers choice depending on when the last oil change was.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Engine oil picks up all kinds of stuff in the engine. Theres compression blowby. Theres products of compustion that makes acid in the oil too. Leaving some dirty oil in an engine your about to store for a long time is asking for trouble later on. An oil change is cheap insurance that the engine will be fine when taken out of storage. Seal off both the intake and the exhaust so no moisture gets into an open cylinder thru the valves.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I change oil just before storing, always done that, and also change it right after storage as well, all fuel tanks are topped up, and I gave it a full bottle of Howes Conditioner.

Guess I'll let it sit this one out.

And Riotwarrior: interesting about storing an engine with old oil. Never heard that one before. Guess that would explain why this season when I changed the oil after storage, I didn't change it before storage and it was about due (3k miles), and it had quite a bit of metal shavings in it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
One thing you need to do before long term storage is make sure to treat the fuel tanks with some SERIOUS fuel biocide like Kill-Em and make sure that you run the fuel from each tank long enough so that all the fuel is treated and the lines going to and from the tank are treated or you may get to time to run the thing and wind up with a pump full of critters and that's no fun at all

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ you'd have to live in a warm climate to worry about those things though wouldnt you?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the fogging idea is bad because I would think that could make the engine run away. You are adding more fuel, because that fogging solution is petroleum based. I like OldBull's idea of just cranking it every couple weeks and letting the piston jets coat the cylinders. I have fogged gas engines on boats, but never a diesel. I have seen diesel tractors sit out in the weather for a couple years and start up without problems (after fluid changes and other necessary maintenance) and go right to work.

Archie

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online