Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that, Trackspeeder. I will rewire the connector tomorrow and hopefully all will be well. The truck is driving and shifting fine even through some of the pins are not correct. What's even more amazing is the Code 62 has stayed a way too! Wonder what it will do once I get the wiring corrected?:dunno

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, the wiring to the MLPS/TRS has been "corrected" and all seems to be well so far. The truck now starts in Park and it is nice to have backup lights again tooLOL No codes present but I will update as I drive the truck more.

Last edited:

anotheridi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now keep us updated on that code 62, and what it decides to do. The trans probably saw you order all the parts and thought, man I guess it's time to straighten up, otherwise he's going to make me shift like a truck should.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack:mad: The Code 62 has returned. It is good to know all those great parts I ordered are still needed! The TCIL started flashing going up a hill again. I cleared the code and the TCIL started flashing again a while later, and again it happened going up a hill.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Code 62 is a regular occurrence but I finally have the truck scheduled for surgery. My Wife is leaving on vacation to Florida on the 13th, so I will be dropping the truck off at the trans shop on the 12th. Wifey is gone for a week so I have her Ford Edge to run around in while the truck is down. Yeah, we are one of those couples that take separate vacations-I go hunting in the fall and she goes to Florida in February. I told the trans guy he can have the truck for the whole week so there is no need for him to rush to try and get it back to me in a day or two. I asked him to give me some idea as to cost to R&R the trans, replace the TC, and install the shift kit and other goodies. He told me that to R&R the trans and install the TC that I provide would $5-600. To install the shift kit would be around another $200 (valve body and pump mods). He has not yet seen my parts assortment yet either. Then he tells me for a "couple of hundred more" that he can "go through" the trans and replace parts that may be trouble down the road. When i kind of hesitated on this he said "you would feel pretty bad if something goes wrong with the trans after I had it out and could have caught it while while the trans was out". Well, I guess it is hard to argue with that logic so I said yeah, go through it and make sure. I know he already has to pull the pump and he also has to get those lock rings in from the Tugger kit. I told him that I did not want a full rebuild and I did not want the expense of doing all those updates at this time. When it was all done, he thought the total cost would come in between $1000-$1200 and obviously much is dependent upon what he finds and what "should" be replaced. While this seems kind of "pricey", he is also just quoting me these prices off the top of his head and has not seen the trans or the parts I will be providing.

Okay, so on to more important stuff: those holes to be drilled in the Tugger calibration plate - FORDF250HDXLT - How are you liking the firm shifts? After reading the SK instructions, I am leaning more toward the holes sizes for the 6 cylinder rather than the diesel. (I will be having a low stall TC installed). Maybe I am wimping out here? Let's put it this way - the way the truck shifts from 1-2 when the TCIL is flashing (high pressure mode) is a bit too firm for my liking (but it isn't a nice crisp shift either). Any thoughts as to alternate holes sizes?The other concern I have regards the Superior pump mods vs. the Tugger pump mods. My gut tells me not to mix or do both, but do the Tugger pump mods because of installing the rest of the Tugger kit. FORDF250HDXLT - what have been the performance results on your truck since you did both the Superior and Tugger pump mods? By the way, I have printed out your entire Tugger install article and I am giving that to the trans guy with the parts. I am sure he knows what he is doing, but it doesn't hurt to provide a little more documentation. Whew, that was long-winded. Thanks for reading!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my trucks very large and heavy.10K+ lbs empty and sports 5.13 gearing.so there's no way to know just what it would feel like in a empty 6500 lb pickup.if i had to do it again? id probably go up for a bit larger holes to firm it up even more.....but it's not like you can't fell the shifts.they're "there".:D

as for the tugger kit in chip truck with the extra low stall converter,i dunno what he went with for hole sizes but she shifts real nice an firm too.
i guess both trucks should be noted of more " instant" and "positive" shifts rather than "firm" but in no way,whatsoever do you think of limp mode,harsh and banging.so don't get scared.go with the diesel settings.trust trango.they know what they're doing.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so don't get scared. go with the diesel settings. trust transgo. they know what they're doing.

Thanks for your input. My hesitation with going with bigger calibration plate holes is because of Transgo's warning in the Tugger instructions about using the 6 cylinder holes sizes for a diesel with a low stall converter. The converter I purchased is a 1200 stall. I also had the thought that the hole sizes Transgo recommends for the diesels might be tailored more to the Powerstroke rather than the IDI. However, I really don't want to "go back in" and have to redrill the holes either if I go too small. Obviously, I will talk to my trans guy about this as well.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very easy to enlarge them some more latter.especially if you install the 4r100 pan with the drain plug.simply drain the pan,drop it then remove the small accumulator valve body and the plate is right there.so going small first isn't a bad idea.you can easily enlarge them latter yourself without having to pay a trans shop.the job would just be about 2 times as hard as changing your oil id say at most.

edit.yeah i see there "for sure read this" it says then mentions starting with the 300-6 when using a custom low stall.
if you frig up and go too big,im sure you could call up transgo and buy another plate too but best follow the instructions and road test first then enlarge if needed.so id install the pan and every other trans pan bolt to road test.then modify some more,or install all the bolts.
maybe you could have your trans guy give ya a call when he goes to road test it.

one things for sure.your not going to recognize the transmission.;Really

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Always start with a smaller hole first. If you feel the upshift is to slow or soft, go bigger.

Remember, you can make a small hole bigger. You can't make a big hole small.:D

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I had made an appointment at the trans shop three weeks ago, and arranged to drop the truck off on the 11th. Told the trans guy he could have the truck all the way up until today (20th) so he had some flexibility in working on it. Now, I don't like to bug people in a situation like this - he knows what he has to do - but I hadn't heard anything from him so I gave him a call yesterday morning. He said 'oh, I have been so busy, my big lift wasn't free, I had an "emergency repair that came in" ........ yadda, yadda, yaada.:mad: I get that stuff happens and schedules get shifted around, but my money is as good as the next guys and at least give me a call if you are going to bump me out and tell me why. He hadn't even moved the truck yet from where I had parked it. I told him not to touch it, that I was pissed and I would pick the truck up and take it somewhere else. He apologized up and down but I told him he lost my business, and the business of anyone that asks me about where to get trans work done. Now, the reality is that the next actual trans shop is over and hour and a half away from me and is also very busy. I thought I would let the guy feel bad over his lack of customer service for a while and called him back in the afternoon. He said, "Oh, I really appreciate you calling me back and giving me the chance to make this right." Anyway, he "promised" to get started on the truck today. Of course, this means it won't be done until sometime next week, but at least my truck is on the work schedule now. I have a little empathy for the trans guy as I work for a guy that routinely overbooks my work schedule saying "I am not going to turn down work". Obviously, I am only one guy and "can only do what I can do" so when the customers get pissed when jobs aren't done when promised, I refer them back to my boss and he gets to smooth things over. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often, but I can understand the trans guy's situation as I work for one of those guys that just can't say no to anybody and won't turn work away (or even tell people they may have to wait a bit). Hopefully, my next update will be that the truck is done and the trans works great!