Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done many fluid changes in automatic units, never would I touch the shift lever as the fluid is draining as the engine runs.
I think this is how you got your code 62
Doing something that makes absolutely no sense.
Of course it will detect slippage from no pressure and moving the lever.

I have done the same type of fluid swap but always at the radiator instead
I never wait till it stops spitting fluid.

I use a 2.5 gallon container to collect old fluid and simply add new atf while
the old stuff is pumping out.
When I run out of the new fluid I am pouring in I simply turn off the engine
tighten up the cooler lines and my job is finished after a few more fluid level
checks.

I followed the flushing procedure in the IDI tech articles to the letter. Here is the link to the tech article http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

This procedure was written up by a Ford Trans Engineer. It is my thought that the fact that this code appeared while performing the flush is merely coincidence, and would have occurred at some point anyway, and was not caused by the flush procedure. I think I have an electrical issue, and with guidance from some helpful members on here, I hope to be able to eventually track it down.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I have done many fluid changes in automatic units, never would I touch the shift lever as the fluid is draining as the engine runs.
I think this is how you got your code 62
Doing something that makes absolutely no sense.
Of course it will detect slippage from no pressure and moving the lever.

I have done the same type of fluid swap but always at the radiator instead
I never wait till it stops spitting fluid.

I use a 2.5 gallon container to collect old fluid and simply add new atf while
the old stuff is pumping out.
When I run out of the new fluid I am pouring in I simply turn off the engine
tighten up the cooler lines and my job is finished after a few more fluid level
checks.

The vehicle has to be moving to throw a 62 code. The TCM cannot detect slippage when the speed is 0 mph.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah the tcm needs to detect converter slip (or just not lockup and or unlock when it should/shouldn't) something like 3 or 5 times going down the road,before it will set the code.the fluid change is more than likely irreverent.about the only thing i could think of,would be too low of a fluid level after the flush that could be a cause of 62.other than that,it's probably coincidence.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, there was not actually a code stored at the time the OD OFF light started flashing during the refilling of the transmission. From my earlier post, I stated that the light began flashing and then went away by itself after a while. When the light started flashing the next time, I hooked up the code reader and still did not have a code stored. It was only this last time that I found a code 62 stored after I connected the code reader. And since code 62 cannot be set unless the vehicle is moving (thanks for that info Trackspeeder), we can make the assumption that whatever caused the OD OFF light to flash while I was refilling the trans was not due to TCC slippage. The intermittent nature of the issue and the fact that the trans seems to be acting fine seems to be pointing toward an electrical problem and I still think it coincidence with regard to the fluid change. I certainly do not put any stock in the old wive's tale about when putting new fluid in an old trans, the old trans will die because it was the old fluid (with all the particulate matter in it) that made the old trans still work (at least I think that is how the old tale goes). My trans has only 93,000 miles on it now and has received proper maintenance throughout its life, not to mention full synthetic fluid at each change. The fluid that came out looked new, smelled new, and there was just a tiny bit of particulate on the mag drain plug. Didn't have time to pull the heat shield and connector on the side of the trans yet, but that is my next thing to check out and I will report back with what I find. Thanks for the input with diagnosing this!

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I had 4 good days of driving to work without a flashing OD Off light (about 20 miles each way). Yesterday on the way home, the light stared flashing again. Again pulled the code and again it was a Code 62. Now, it seems like all shifts have gotten pretty harsh after the light starts flashing. However, the TC seems to be unlocking and locking fine. Tap the brakes at speed and she unlocks, and locks and unlocks with the push button. This morning, I got under the truck and checked the connector into the trans solenoid pack. What and inconvenient location next to the exhaust! Anyway, I got the connector apart, and the harness wires into the female half of the connector looked fine. Using my inspection mirror, I was able to look at the pins in the connector on the solenoid pack. They looked clean, bright and shiny and there was no ATF in the connector. I can't see how anybody could clean those pins up with scotchbrite or whatever considering the vertical position there are in. I guess pulling the pan and removing the solenoid pack would be the way to go. I sprayed some CRC QD cleaner in both halves of the connector and blew them out with compressed air and let them dry a bit. I then put some di-electric grease in there and connected it back up and put the heat shield back on. We will see what happens, but given the good condition of the connector, I have a feeling that is not where the problem is originating from.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmm.well now follow the wire harness across the top of the trans.as it splits off a bit feeding the MLPS,then going upward to the frame.see the harness rubbing/chaffing the loom/wires here? repair if need,or continue up.look for another connection clip just up the frame under/around the brake master.unclip,inspect and clean here.let us know what ya see.if nothing,now move up to the actual TCM and remove the center bolt (10 mm?) and clean this main connection too.

side note;
don't be alarmed by firm shifts while the od light is flashing (codes now present) this is normal and doesn't indicate a problem in of itself.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, FORDF250HDXLT. Okay, I will do some more checking of the harness and work my way back to the trans computer and see what I find.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the harness from the trans back to the TCM. The plastic loom around the wires was all intact, even at the "chafing" points over the trans on at the frame. When I got the TCM connector on the firewall though, the 10mm bolt was loose! Now, I would not think that would be that big of a deal, since the connector pins are pretty long. However, if connections have to be "perfect", maybe this was the problem - only some more driving will tell. When I took the connector off the TCM, some of the pins had a bit of "white rust" corrosion on the tips of them. I cleaned that up and then sprayed both parts of the TCM connector with CRC QD cleaner and put some dielectric grease on the connectors. I will drive it and report back with results. Thanks again for the continuing help!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok but between the TCM connector and the "chaffing spot" (i like that.good description) by the frame is a fairly large connector.look for it around the brake lines.you'll notice a group of wires go into the power distribution box.i think you missed it because you didn't include it.this one doesn't typically have issues because it's high up,but hey they all count right.plus the TCM connector is even higher,and you saw some corrosion on those pins.so best to go ahead and find the last one and clean this one up too.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok but between the TCM connector and the "chaffing spot" (i like that.good description) by the frame is a fairly large connector.look for it around the brake lines.you'll notice a group of wires go into the power distribution box.i think you missed it because you didn't include it.this one doesn't typically have issues because it's high up,but hey they all count right.plus the TCM connector is even higher,and you saw some corrosion on those pins.so best to go ahead and find the last one and clean this one up too.

Ah, okay I did see that big connector by the power distribution box. I will have a look at that one too. Thanks for pointing that out!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah it's in a tricky spot to see.now you know it's there,you'll find it easy enough though.;Sweet

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opened that last connector by the power dist. box and it looked just fine. Nevertheless, I shot some cleaner in the connector halves and blew them out with compressed air and put on some dielectric grease. I think I may have angered the beast as the OD Off light started flashing again within 5 miles of starting out from home today. When I got home, I pulled the code again and of course it was 62. I cleared the code out again and I will see what happens on my way to work tomorrow. Sigh.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
When the converter locks is it drawn out or slow to lock. Do you get any shaking or chatter during lock up.

If you have either or both of these symptoms, your 62 code is mechanical.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the converter locks is it drawn out or slow to lock. Do you get any shaking or chatter during lock up.

If you have either or both of these symptoms, your 62 code is mechanical.

Thanks, Trackspeeder. The TC seems to lock and unlock fine - certainly no chatter or shaking. The OD OFF light will suddenly just start flashing. This leads me to think I am still chasing an electrical issue. I may remove the harness from the truck and run continuity tests on each wire in the loom -ugh! No light this am on my way into work though

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online