Fluid chnage in E4OD throws a code!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11 is "koeo pass" and 10 is "end of memory block" for most fords.

Koeo only pulls constant memory codes. You'll need to do koer as well. (All e4ods except with IDI)

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I take it that the throttle does not need to be at wide open when retrieving the codes when the engine is running?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a brainfart, no koer on IDI e4ods that I know of. Eec gassers and psds only. Fixed the codes above, 11 is pass, 10 is next segment. It checks current status then anything in memory.

Did you disconnect the battery after the last episode of flashing od button? That would have wiped any codes. Recommend keeping the scanner in vehicle and retest immediately after it happens again.

If it was a current only error and didn't pass programming criteria to make it to continuous memory, you won't see it after shutting off the ignition. EEC devices can be funky like that.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
When testing you must hold the go peddle to the floor.

You have no codes. This is typical with the IDI TCM. It usually takes a major fault for a code to be stored.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Yeah, apparently no codes stored. I took the truck on about a 1 hour run yesterday and no flashing od off light, so once again the light went off on its own. I will carry the code reader in the truck and if the light flashes again, I will see if there is a code. I did notice when the light was flashing this last time that the 1-2 shift seemed pretty harsh - kind of like a auto with a manual valve body shift- and the other shifts were firmer than usual. But with the light off again, the shifts are back to "normal".

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - took the truck out on a 4 hour trip today. The OD Off light started flashing as I was decelerating to turn into an interstate on ramp. Accelerating up the ramp was fine, and shifting seemed fine for the rest of the trip, with the exception of harsher 1-2 shift. Trans did not ran any warmer than usual. When I got home tonight, I hooked up the code reader and this time the code "62" was stored. In the book that came with the code reader, code 62 is "(trucks only) Transmission 4/3 circuit fault". In the code list posted earlier by FORDF250HDXLT, code 62 refers to TCC slippage. So, is my TC beginning to go south? Thanks for all the help on this guys!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
62 is the famous slip code. You will see that almost any time there is a problem.Unlike the PCM in a SD. The TCM in this early stuff can't determine what is really slipping. So you will get 62 code.
This doesn't mean the converter is the problem. You have no chatter when the converter locks. Tranny temps are not excessively hot no gravel sounds at idle. The converter is good.

Because this is happening at speed, I would check the TPS. Make sure its within spec.

(Code 69 is a 3-4 shift failure.)

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much, Trackspeeder! I will check the TPS today. I replaced it not all that long ago, (with some help from you and FORDF250HDXLT at that time as well). Maybe it has shifted around and is out of adjustment now. Thanks again and I will report back with what I find.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I get 1.14 volts at the middle wire of the TPS at idle and 4.06 volts at WOT. The voltage seems to increase smoothly with the sweep of the throttle.

Edit: I also hooked up the code reader again, but have not driven the truck since I retrieved the code 62 last night. This time, a code 26 was stored, in addition to the code 62 that was still there. Maybe I did not leave the code reader on long enough before :dunno. Don't know if that helps diagnose or not. My code reader book states that code 26 indicates "transmission oil temp sensor fault". Where would that sensor be located? Up inside the trans someplace?

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
TOT sensor is in the solenoid pack. If your tranny is cold it will throw this code at you. It needs to be at operating temp when testing.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TOT sensor is in the solenoid pack. If your tranny is cold it will throw this code at you. It needs to be at operating temp when testing.

Ah, okay, that explains the code 26 then and why it was not there before when I hooked up the code reader. I cleared the codes out again. I think I am going to crawl under the truck and check the big harness connector on the side of the trans and clean that up - I guess that can't hurt (unless I break the plastic connector getting it off!) I have some crc electrical cleaner to spray on it as well. Any other suggestions on what else I might check? I really appreciate the help on this!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't brake it.remove the heat shield (temporarily) and from the view you see.press inward on the tab.with that pressed in (using fingers only! don't grab a screwdriver!) wiggle while pulling upward.be gentle and just work away at it.she'll pop up out.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF fluid change

I have done many fluid changes in automatic units, never would I touch the shift lever as the fluid is draining as the engine runs.
I think this is how you got your code 62
Doing something that makes absolutely no sense.
Of course it will detect slippage from no pressure and moving the lever.

I have done the same type of fluid swap but always at the radiator instead
I never wait till it stops spitting fluid.

I use a 2.5 gallon container to collect old fluid and simply add new atf while
the old stuff is pumping out.
When I run out of the new fluid I am pouring in I simply turn off the engine
tighten up the cooler lines and my job is finished after a few more fluid level
checks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online