Flexplate carnage

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
have a lot of money in your billfold,,when you talk to them.....they normally charge three times what the original retail was.....

No they don't there typically way lower than the dealer...there local to me im there a lot. Great people to do business with.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have a lot of money in your billfold,,when you talk to them.....they normally charge three times what the original retail was.....

I guess that means they ASSume every customer's name is Ben Dover

sassyrel

Reaction score
No they don't there typically way lower than the dealer...there local to me im there a lot. Great people to do business with.

they must think a lot of you then..when we called from a ford dealer,,they were nuts!!!!!! cause that WASNT my experience with them...............

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
......As far as searching for used parts, go to www.car-part.com and you can search all the boneyards in the country just like the big boys.....

That's where I found my replacement, I always start with car-part for hard to find stuff like this.

The struggle with wrecking yards though is the hours. Most are still M-F 8-5pm, which isn't always workable for most working stiffs.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I had the old style flex plate let go on my 84 F240 appros 8 or so years ago. I was in Minnasota - went to a ford dealer ,they said there were no flex plates like that in thier parts book. I finally got a part # went back and they ordered it.An hour later they called ,appoligized & said they had one in stock.I forget for sure but I think it was the whole assembly. I used it for less than a year and still have it in a crate out back. At least I yhink its still therewe got rid of some stuff & saved some stuff the plate was supposed to be a saved item. If any one is looking for one -PM me.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow are you ever the lucky one. I should have known that Uhaul was going to have them. That set looks just like the new set I have but I got the ring gear and the large 3 inch washer that spreads out the bolt torque. That price is a killer too. Hell, just the bolts alone will cost you that much...If Ford had them....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow are you ever the lucky one. I should have known that Uhaul was going to have them. That set looks just like the new set I have but I got the ring gear and the large 3 inch washer that spreads out the bolt torque. That price is a killer too. Hell, just the bolts alone will cost you that much...If Ford had them....

Yeah Gary; had to buy one from Tousley Ford this past spring, $136.28, they list for $206.48, but that was with the ring gear on it for my 99.

Just thinking, wouldn't it be possible to use a flexplate with the ring gear on it in place of the one that doesn't have the gear, it would just be that you don't use that gear for starting, as long as it don't rub against the bell housing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searched Uhaul on ebay for another flexplate. There is none after searching thru several thousand parts in every vehicle they list. Must have been the only one they had I bought. Tried to buy 3 then 2 and it would only except the buy for 1. For some reason I can't get on there uhaultruckparts.com.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score

This cast iron flywheelis only used with the thin stamped flexplate with no ring gear onit. As I posted easy on.Ford no longer sells these items.Now all we can use is the stamped steel flexplate with the ring gear welded to it. But you will need the crank spacer thats between the thin stamped flexplate and the crank. Ford no longer sells those either. I have two spares and BTS can manufacture you one if you need it badly. Any idi can use either of these heavy or lite flexplates. That Ring washer is what I refer to as the torque spreading washer... Uhaul is asking a fair price for that too...The heavy cast iron flexplate cost... Not so good. We really don't need to use those any more...I would tell youdo replace them with the flexplate that has the welded ring gear. You can get those flexplates at any AAMCO or even thru BTS... Around $25.00 to $50.00 is all they will cost you. Sure beats over $300.00 for something you don't need because something better has come along.