First big tow/haul last night

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys saw my question about hitches earlier in the week- I finally picked up a hitch and last night I hauled my car. Picked up the trailer from U-haul last night, even with just the empty trailer behind the truck you could definitely tell it was there (truck was slower).

I went to my place and loaded up the car (my Thunderbird), and then also filled up the truck's bed with stuff that needed moved.

Man, did the truck feel slow with that car behind it! I don't know what the u-haul trailer itself weighs, but the car is probably around 3500 lbs.

Also I think I did alright for it being my first time towing a trailer- had a little difficulty turning it around in front of my place, but backing it into where the car was going I had to back up and turn 90 degrees off the main road to back up a driveway which went better than I thought it would at first.

Have to say, after I dropped off that trailer my truck felt like a hot rod without it LOL

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Thats great -another success story. Sounds like you are a natural. I know that "hot rod feeling" "power abundant!!!" woo-hoo.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
you havent towed anything yet! hook a 10,000lb 5th wheel with a front that sits about 6 ft higher than the cab. THAT slows you down!! i hauled a 97 4runner on my steel car hauler last night and i wanted to just keep driving around cuz it towed so damn nice!! i just love towing stuff. whats really fun is when you get back from say towing a camper for a week long 2200 mile trip, unhook, and hop in to go to work the next day. then its a huge huge difference. brakes awesome too. i dont know but i swear my truck feels like its happy when its towing a vehicle on a trailer or a decent camper. now my 35' 5th wheel... ummm... ya not so happy. more like" *** are you doing to me????" kinda feeling. thats cool though, keep towing anything you can, its what these trucks are made for.

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    913.2 KB · Views: 31

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If with that little weight the truck was much slower You may want to look into Your driving method for the truck, don't be afraid of high rpms (within reason) this engines like the high rpms when towing. Also any power mods like IP turned up (do You have a pyro?), etc.

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
If with that little weight the truck was much slower You may want to look into Your driving method for the truck, don't be afraid of high rpms (within reason) this engines like the high rpms when towing. Also any power mods like IP turned up (do You have a pyro?), etc.

That's what I was thinking. My truck didn't really notice the weight of a trailer until I rented the trailer to haul my parts truck home. Rental place said the trailer weighed around 4,000 with the hydraulic tilt gear and I assume the truck weighs between 6,000 and 7,000. My truck noticed that, but still pulled slow and steady up hills.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, a T-bird and U-haul car trailer shouldn't slow you down, especially not with a turbo, these trucks seem really much happier working hard than being babied around town. My truck actually got as good or better mileage back in the C6, N/A days with the 3.55s when towing the boat as it did piddling around town. Back when it had 4.10s and th C6 it didn't even know that load was back there and I'm assuming with the added power and T18 that the next time I tow it'll be like that feeling. I miss it!

cornbinder 84

Goat Rancher
Reaction score
I made my first big tow last night too, not to highjack your thread. I was well pleased with my truck since it is N/A. The only gripe I have is the gap in between 3rd and 4th in the T-19. The trailer I had on was a 16' gooseneck lowboy at about 1750 lbs and a Ford tractor at about 5200 lbs. My truck seems to love to pull heavy, and don't be afraid of the rpms. I was until last night until I had to pull a 1.5 mile 8% grade from a dead stop at the bottom with the above load. Pulled it in second at about 30 mph and I knew I couldn't switch to third because it does start pulling good until about 40 mph. I really need to get a tach and a pyro.

Jack

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well geez guys, I told you it was my first time towing and yes the truck felt slower :p It's not like it's gonna feel normal to me to have that weight back there! Plus the bed of the truck was also all full of stuff.

It didn't feel like the truck had any problems pulling it, I'm just not used to towing.

sootman73

Reaction score
i towed two horses last night. truck likes to be loaded down more than running empty. didn't notice it back there really...i figured 5000lbs trailer and horses. all i knew was that those horses kept kicking but i didn't feel anything else...

sounds about right though ghunt. a little slower kinda lethargic but does just fine.

junior20762003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
then i guess i have problems cause my rig wont stay over 55 with a L3400 kubota no loader but has a 6 foot shredder and big tex 20' gooseneck.. truck screams bloody mary bout 3000rpm all day that and last night my temperature gauge started acting crazy