Finally got the intake hat done.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Phase one of my intercooler project is complete. FINALLY ;Sweet

It’s a little cruder than I would like, and I’ll have to spend some time cleaning up the casting, but I finally got my intake hat done. The notch allows for clearance of the turbo exhaust housing, and wastegate. That banks turbo is so close to the intake, it really limits intake hat options. Probably the only drawback I’ve been able to find with the banks turbo so far.

Here’s a test fit on an intake manifold that paid the ultimate price. I’ll try to do a test fit on the truck some time this weekend.

Attachments

• DSC02338.JPG
    DSC02338.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 106

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
I made it. Its not perfect, but not to bad for a guy with some sand and a propane tank in his garage. :thumbsup:

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Not really. I have several shots of the wooden mockup going together, but not much of the metal casting process.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Wow that's incredable!!! Nice Job!!!! I love to hear more about the process. I'd like something like that so I could get rid of the airbox set up on mine. Intercooler now that would be a plus.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Here's a couple more pics after I got the casting cleaned up. And a few of a test fit on the truck.

Take note of how the wastegate actuator hovers over the center of the intake hole. I didn't want to change the geometry of the WG, so I added the notch to the casting.

Attachments

• OB1.JPG
    OB1.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 30
  • OB2.JPG
    OB2.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 36
  • OB3.JPG
    OB3.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 32
  • OB4.JPG
    OB4.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 26
  • OB5.JPG
    OB5.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 38

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F350camper said:
Here's a couple more pics after I got the casting cleaned up. And a few of a test fit on the truck.

Take note of how the wastegate actuator hovers over the center of the intake hole. I didn't want to change the geometry of the WG, so I added the notch to the casting.
That casting of yours looks better than what I got from ATS. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, that's incredibly top notch! ;Sweet In my live steam hobby there are a lot of guys who talk of doing their own foundry work. I've seen the kinds of rigs they have to put together, and it's not easy. I'm sure you have a lot of time sunk into that thing. Bring the wooden form with you to Ohio! I'd love to see it, and it would definitely add to your conversation piece. Once again, your a real pioneer, and an inspiration to all. :hail

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. And you’re right Mel, I have quite a chunk of time in that little baby.

I’m pretty happy with it, but I’ll probly pour another one eventually. The sand I used for the core was just a bit too coarse. So instead of a nice slippery path for the air, it’s rather rough. But it’ll do the job for now. Ah, who knows, maybe I’ll just leave it alone. In any case it’s good enough to keep my intercooler project rolling.

budtoh3zo, thanks, ya I spose I could sell a few. But I’d have to get a lot better at it. I certainly wouldn’t sell this one, the pics don’t show it all that much but it has quite a few cosmetic defects.

One additional thought guys. I love my Banks turbo, and in the end I guess it won’t matter, but I have to say the location of the WG actuator is a strike against Banks. After what I just went through, I’d have to lean Hypermax.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Very Impressed Rob, Looks Great from Grand Rapids! ;Sweet I cant see any inperfections at all. Looking forward to seeing the completed project in July.

Darrin

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Like the others have said, "I'm impressed."

If the casting is rough inside and it bothers you, get your dremel or air grinder out and do a little "polishing."

Don

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online