Finally got lift pump changed. Runs, now ABS light on and dead speedometer?

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suppose a diff fluid change is in order...

Just sayin
+1; along with an inspection of the diff internals, to get a sense of where all that metal is coming from.

And a Chilton manual actually provided some useful information? Mark the date!

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Suppose a diff fluid change is in order... Just sayin

I changed it about 1K ago, and the stinky stuff was changed about 30K before that, Al. My fleet mechanics said wear was OK at that time, but I doubt they pulled this magnet up. This sensor is prob orig, and I can't attest to the gear oil for the first 300k. Previous owner was no genius.

Will be changing u-joints and trans yoke soon. Will check for slop then. No clunk, no howl.

Time for a check-up at the gear shop near my workplace. Dude told me that the D60 "is more of a half-ton rear end." :rolleyes:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you place a large powerful magnet on the back cover it probably will collect most if not all of the metal but. Will it pull too much magntisim to bearings and such:dunno:dunno
Hmm, I'd also be wondering if a large magnet in there would interfere with the function of the VSS. I suppose one way to look at it is to consider the VSS as doing double-duty, as a particle magnet just like a magnetic oil pan drain plug. Every now and then, just pull it out and de-fuzzify it.