Finally got lift pump changed. Runs, now ABS light on and dead speedometer?

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
OK, here are my observations today:

**Two-wire connector to tach sensor reads about 1.6 volts from either side, with key on. :confused: Yup, either wire into harness reads that.

**TECA relay not conveniently sitting in view, like it was on my old F. Chilton book is no help. The hunt continues.

**OD light does not glow at all with key on, but does go on/off fully when depressing button as usual with the key on.

Huh?

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Chilton book did give me a hint, showing the relay in the Power Distribution Box (ugly arrow), which is squeezed in under the master cylinder.

The relay is in the position named "RA," and the relay is there (also, ugly arrow). I haven't opened this box in a couple of years.

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WEll you found the relay. Now test the power feed line to that and test the key on engine off circut. In my thread is a very good wire and picture of which wires are what. You do not have to use a tester that punctures the wires. Just find the female plug in the box and test for power and grounds there.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Have you checked the VSS and associated wiring?

Why, no, actually. Will slide under there shortly. Is there a test for the sensor itself? Then again, it's only an $18 part, in stock at the NAPA store a few miles away.

(One of the obscene perks of a full-size cargo van is that I easily carry along an inexpensive Harbor freight creeper. Comes in handy!)

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What level is the brake fluid in the plastic resivour? I recall mine was low and I had a brake light illuminated on my dash. Added some fluid and all was fine.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
What level is the brake fluid in the plastic resivour? I recall mine was low and I had a brake light illuminated on my dash. Added some fluid and all was fine.

Actually, above the max line, Gary. Replaced the front pads not too many miles ago, so in went the pistons, and up went the level. Was intending to suck the excess down, once I was back on the road.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WEll I'm leaning towards the VSS in the differential but I'm not an expert on this. Sure am watching this thread to learn.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
WEll I'm leaning towards the VSS in the differential but I'm not an expert on this. Sure am watching this thread to learn.

Well, Gary, both the newbie and veteran learned something today!

Checked the Chilton book, which says "Metal particles can cause sensor problems."

Well, damn. New, clean sensor, and all is well. ABS light out, speedo and odo function, and trans shifts correctly.

Why da heck the sensor decided to act up immediately after sitting for 6 weeks, ah well.

And, should my Dana 60 have lost that much metal after 330K? Perhaps not.

Meanwhile, I'm back on the road. Much appreciate your help, madpogue! :hail:hail:hail

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I guess any time a magnet is placed in a fluid where we have metal to metal wear we are going to pick up particles. I suppose if you place a large powerful magnet on the back cover it probably will collect most if not all of the metal but. Will it pull too much magntisim to bearings and such:dunno:dunno
Glad you have it fixed and the repair was simple. I have learned something today..