Fat guys, regular cabs

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno man. Some guys my age are back in diapers...

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cedric is right. Too bad that the best solution is the hardest.
I can agree with this, to an extent.

Fact is, this steering wheel is just in an uncomfortable position. Nothing like any other vehicle I have driven. Even the 89 twin to this truck is easier to drive.

It's just way too close to my chest.

I graduated high school at the same height I am now. And I weighed only 137 pounds. Soaking wet. Even then, this truck would be more difficult to drive because of the way the steering wheel crowds me.

I think I should get out there with a tape measure today, and make comparison measurements between the two trucks.

Who knows, I might find them identical, and all of this is in my head. LOL

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, Selahdoor. One of my trucks feels very different to sit in than the others. Everything looks the same, but somehow my posture is less comfortable in that truck, and I have far less leg room.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, Selahdoor. One of my trucks feels very different to sit in than the others. Everything looks the same, but somehow my posture is less comfortable in that truck, and I have far less leg room.
Is it the 91?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, this was bothering me too much. I had to go out and do measurements to figure out whether I was crazy or not... It just seemed to me that everything looked to be exactly the same. But it didn't FEEL the same...

Set both wheels all the way up. (Both are tilt wheels.) Started measuring. Using the same point on the bottom of both wheels, to keep things the same.

Same measurements!! Everywhere. Dash to wheel. Wheel to seat bottom and seat back. Roof to wheel.

So, yeah. Looking like I am crazy.

EXCEPT.... From the wheel to the back window.... There is 3 inches more clearance on the old truck. (I had to do this measurement at the top of the wheel. But both wheels are exactly the same angle, size, etc. So again, I just used the same point on the wheel.)

Pretty sure all of this is 'posture'.

In the new truck, I have to sit more upright. This puts my shoulders 3 inches closer to the wheel.

THAT makes me feel like the wheel is crowding my chest.

No idea what I can do about this. The seat back is all the way back against the rear of the cab. I'd have to find some way to move the wheel 3 inches toward the dash, to deal with this. And I'd think that would start to create some problems with the steering shaft, etc...

I'll probably have to find a seat that has an uber thin back. Even that probably won't completely take care of the problem.

And I don't want to be sitting in an uncomfortable seat like what comes out of the back of a crew cab. That would just be trading one uncomfortable problem for a different uncomfortable problem.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two I just measured are an 89 and a 92.

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That won't make any difference, really.

The problem is that the cab is 3 inches longer on the 89.

My assumption!!!

Because the distance from the steering wheel to the rear window is 3 inches more, on the 89.

Also, because of this, I measured the doors. And while the 89 door is not much bigger than the 92, it IS bigger, and I am taking this as a confirmation.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's very odd. The cabs should be the same from my understanding. I was thinking the older seat just tipped back a little more.

Very odd indeed, I thought doors swapped between 80-96?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless.... What's the distance between the wheel and the windshield? Is the whole thing farther out on the newer truck?

Selahdoor

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know. I thought all the parts of that sort would swap.

The distance between them both, and their dash, are the same. It was difficult to determine a spot on the windshield glass to measure to.