Fan Clutch on The Chjeap

Reaction score
Crap. Don't tell me this isn't legit. I just bought one, too! Getting tired of my fan kicking in (or not kicking in) at weird times.

Mike

metalminded

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crap. Don't tell me this isn't legit. I just bought one, too! Getting tired of my fan kicking in (or not kicking in) at weird times.

Mike

yeah i dunno, i dont see anything about motorcraft on the box.... anyone help out?

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine arrived. 4 different 'marks' look similar to my '94.

1. A big 'C' shaped mark w/lines through it under the coil spring.
2. F2UA DA stamped on one of the hex nut faces. ('94 was F3.....)
3. Yellow paint on one of the flat bosses on the outside edge.
4. Several rows of pinprick punch marks on another of the flat bosses.

Nothing conclusive but its what I got.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What breaks on the stock unit to make it fail and is there a way to fix it? Mine is fine, but I would rather be prepared.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The part that breaks down on these clutchs is the shaft seal. They leak and some of the viscous fluid leaks out causing a dirt buildup on the thermostic flat spring. Then it can't see the heat from the radiater so it wont tighten up and close the internal valve. Kinda a simple but confusing setup but it works. Those MS Tech fan clutches have that spring modified to close sooner in the temp range so the fan starts locking up sooner as temps raise. I believe mine locks up at 210 degrees. I think we can remove the spring and do the mods outselves. I have a couple of clutches here so someday I will remove the springs to compare them. One clutch is the modified fan clutch from MS Tech so I have a part to compare the oem to.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1990 FORD F-350 7.3L 445cid V8 DIESEL: YB3162

1992 Ford F-350 7.3L 445cid V8 DIESEL: YB467

Why are there two different clutches? I can buy the 3162 right now from Rockauto, but they don't have a listing of the YB467 on their site.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I think causes most failures is a simple loss of the viscous fluid. See my "$4 fan clutch fix" thread from about a week ago.

What Icanfixall mentions may be true too, haven't seen that behavior on mine but it's certainly possible. Seems like an easy fix though, just clean the thermostatic spring with some carb cleaner / compressed air.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should check that spring. I know that when I was sitting in stop-and-go with the AC on(Very rare for me) I think I heard it engage a bit, so having extra heat flowing from the rad probably helped.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the spring is dirty with crap and fluid from the clutch it can't see the heat from the radiater to operate. What that flat spring does is heats up and turns the shaft that its connected to. turning that shaft closes a valve in the clutch locking it up.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Why are there two different clutches? I can buy the 3162 right now from Rockauto, but they don't have a listing of the YB467 on their site.

Any ideas?

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

And why does Rock Auto show a YB3163 for my 94 IDI T? What is going on here? Oriellys shows the YB3162 (fits my 90) for $100 and the YB3163 is $384!!

What are the differences? C'mon guys, somebody knows the answer to this.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My *guess* would be a different engagement profile (that is how much it's coupled at what temp) probably for emissions reasons. 92-94 is when some of the regs started getting tighter and I've never heard anything about different real performance. My thinking is they changed it to keep the engine hotter and possibly lessen idle load / cooling.

I'd stay with the early one.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My *guess* would be a different engagement profile (that is how much it's coupled at what temp) probably for emissions reasons. 92-94 is when some of the regs started getting tighter and I've never heard anything about different real performance. My thinking is they changed it to keep the engine hotter and possibly lessen idle load / cooling.

I'd stay with the early one.

That makes sense to me.

The thing is my 94 runs hotter than what I like and I think the fan clutch is weak and a Motorcraft clutch even on Rock Auto is still $150 higher than the M/C brand on there for the 90 model.

So, my 90 has a nearly new clutch on it and all it gets run is short trips and it don't have a chance to heat up much anyway. Hmm, I imagine in the next couple of days I am gonna have to try it....

I will report back with how it goes.