Factory ford finned aluminum diff cover installed.

DragRag

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm sure some of you know about these already, but thought I would enlighten those that maybe don't. On the 2008 and up super dury trucks, they came with factory aluminum diff covers. Well, both there rear ends in theres and ours are sterling, so the diff cover fits our trucks to. I wanted to change my fluid, so I decided to buy a new cover from the stealership. They used to be a lot cheaper, but they are still not priced that bad. I got this one for about $60 out the door here at Tiffany Ford in Hollister. Pop yours off, get longer bolts to work with the new cover, yours will not be long enough, install with silicon only, fill with new synthetic fluid like I did, and go. You don't need synthetic, but I wanted it for cold climates, and slightly better performance under heavy loads. You will see my spare tire hangs a bit low in the pic, the rear is a 35 gallon tank is why. This is on my 1994 f350 crew 4x4.

Reaction score
I'd only add that the cover is off newer DIESEL Super Dutys. I mistakenly ordered one for my truck based off the misinformation that all Super Duties come with this and ended up with the stamped steel one much like what came on my truck originally. Thankfully the good folks at Tousley Ford (whom I always order from for OEM parts), were understanding and took it back.

Also, a bit of advice on install...... Use some threaded stock or an old bolt with the head cut off as an alignment dowel when installing. I made a royal mess of mine because I couldn't quite get it lined up on the first shot, then made the mistake of sliding the cover around to try and line it up. I ended up spreading silicone OVER the holes, which meant it went down the threaded holes on the diff when I inserted the bolt. I had to chase a few out with an old bolt for forever, and on others I gave up and doubled up on washers. Not the best solution, admittedly, but it is holding up just fine.

Mike

DragRag

Reaction score
You just had to point that out didn't you, lol. Ya I know, I either lost one, or didn't buy enough. I will take care of it this week.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I'd only add that the cover is off newer DIESEL Super Dutys. I mistakenly ordered one for my truck based off the misinformation that all Super Duties come with this and ended up with the stamped steel one much like what came on my truck originally. Thankfully the good folks at Tousley Ford (whom I always order from for OEM parts), were understanding and took it back.

Also, a bit of advice on install...... Use some threaded stock or an old bolt with the head cut off as an alignment dowel when installing. I made a royal mess of mine because I couldn't quite get it lined up on the first shot, then made the mistake of sliding the cover around to try and line it up. I ended up spreading silicone OVER the holes, which meant it went down the threaded holes on the diff when I inserted the bolt. I had to chase a few out with an old bolt for forever, and on others I gave up and doubled up on washers. Not the best solution, admittedly, but it is holding up just fine.

Mike

No its not. Ford was in short supply for a while for these, so a bunch of diesel trucks came with the stock steel cover... I know this because one of the fleet trucks i service is a gas 5.4 with the cover from the factory. you can also order the bolt kit for them from ford. the bolts are shouldered so you don't need washers.

Reaction score
Well, whatever the real reason is, the main point is not to categorically assume that if you order a diff cover for any newer Super Duty you're gonna get the aluminum one.

Mike

DragRag

Reaction score
Well, whatever the real reason is, the main point is not to categorically assume that if you order a diff cover for any newer Super Duty you're gonna get the aluminum one.

Mike

Very true, the steel one is about $20, and the aluminum one is about $60+. So, if your order the $20 one your going to be just a touch disappointed when I arrives. They asked me which one I wanted at the counter, so it is a choice.