Fabricating A Downpipe is it worth it?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I know some of the forum members have fabbed down pipes........ So here's my quetsion and my problem..................... 93 F250 7.3 Factory Turbo.........

Was going to install an ATS 3" elbow and downpipe. ATS does not have the 3" elbow and is in the process of producing them, which I'm told could be 2-3 months down the road but I am doubtful of that.:puke: Since I can't get the 3" elbow, I can't install the 3" downpipe. :mad:

My thought was to keep the stock 2.5" elbow and have a muffler shop build me a 2.5" round downpipe (obviously one that is not smashed flat like the stock downpipe) and then straight pipe it out the back with a 3 1/2" pipe.

Question........... Do you guys think this will benefit me in performance and lower EGT's or is it a waste of time and money and should I just wait until someday when I can find and buy a 3" elbow and downpipe ??? I know the truck would sound alot better this way then stock but don't want to spend the $$$ just for sound.

Any other ideas for performance using the stock turbo elbow where I could gain some performance ??? :dunno

Or better yet............... Anyone got a 3" elbow laying around that they want to sell that will fit the stock (ATS) turbo???? :D

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions and suggestions.......

johnboggs21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything that flows out better than the stock downpipe has to help quite a bit......I think it would be well worth the money to get a 2.5 inch downpipe made that doesnt look like its been run over by forklift

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Replacing the flattened down pipe will decrease the exhaust back pressure. That alone will drop the exhaust gas temp. changing to a 3 or 4 inch straight pipe will reduce the temps also plus... All this exhaust work will increase the hp and fuel mileage. An exhaust system will little or no restrictions will flow better. Getting the hot gas out increases everything but the exhaust temps.. Those temps will be lower and thats a good thing... Then its time to add more fuel which in turn will add more heat... Just go after the fuel adjustment easy at first. Turn it up till you see more smoke than you want. Then turn it back down just a bit... Or be happy with it as it is after the exhaust work... Most of us just can't leave things alone for too long...... Its an adiction....:eek::D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is 3" the biggest downpipe size that fits back there without squashing/firewall work?

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
is 3" the biggest downpipe size that fits back there without squashing/firewall work?

With the 3" you will have to modify the firewall. The 3" won't fit without at least flatening the seam on the firewall, possibley a little more. My understanding is that you need 1/4" space around the pipe to allow for torque over on the motor.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasnt there a member on here that just recently bought a 3 inch down pipe from banks that fit the factory turbo outlet? I believe it was around 100 bucks and they were still making them. See if I cant find the link...

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Wasnt there a member on here that just recently bought a 3 inch down pipe from banks that fit the factory turbo outlet? I believe it was around 100 bucks and they were still making them. See if I cant find the link...

That would be cool......... but I think the deal was that they only fit the banks turbo setup or if they did make one for the factory turbo it was no longer in production..............

The real problem here is that if you can't change the turbo outlet/elbow from the 2.5 to 3" you can't connect a 3" downpipe to it and if you could, it's not going to do much since your outlet/elbow is only 2.5" and that's all the air you can move any way.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, that downpipe fits the factory outlet on the ats turbo. And since it gets rid of the factory squashed pipe(which is what really limits the flow) it really helps with the egts and exhaust flow. Sounds like a worthwhile investment.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i have read you dont really want the ats upgrade housing anyway. Its very poor quality and people who have installed it had major problems keeping the slip fit down pipe in the housing and getting it to seal. The banks downpipe, according to that thread, comes highly recommended and seems to make a huge differance. Thats what I would go with if it was me.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
From what i have read you dont really want the ats upgrade housing anyway. Its very poor quality and people who have installed it had major problems keeping the slip fit down pipe in the housing and getting it to seal. The banks downpipe, according to that thread, comes highly recommended and seems to make a huge differance. Thats what I would go with if it was me.

My main goal was to lower the EGT's and open up that flat POS factory downpipe. Not looking for major HP increases but any gains in performance and lower EGT's is a plus. The other plus is that it sounds like no firewall mods are needed !!!!! I think I would be happy with this if Banks has it available. I noticed that post was a few months old so hopefully you can still get them.

Getting any ATS exhaust parts has been a disappointing experience so far.

Thanks again for finding that post..........

zpd307

Reaction score
i noticed a decent amount of seat of the pants power increase when i made a 3 inch downpipe to fit the factory housing... n/a, i would lose speed on certains hills. factory downpiped turbo, i could maintain speed. 3 inch downpipe, i could now accelerate up those hills. didnt make it a rocket ship, but definately helped. definately worth while.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Ok........... Just got off the phone with Banks and ordered the downpipe, should be here Wed....:D They said they are making 10 at a time now because they are getting to be so popular these days. Probably because you can't get anything for this setup from ATS these days.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online