F350 axle question...

George_7.3IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen some posts here on oilburners talking about people switching out their front axle with a Dana 60... and I'm pretty sure I've got a sterling 10.25 rear axle but I'm not exactly sure what the axle is under the front end of my truck. I was under the impression that it was a D60 under the front end of my truck which is the F350 crew cab in my signature but I was hoping someone could clarify if that is what should be under the front end at least from the factory.

Also is the sterling 10.25 a full floating axle? I'm thinking that it is but I'm not positive about that.

Additionally I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with RCV Performance CV Axle Sets seems like everything I've heard about them is good but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had anything to say about them. During the winters up here in the far north it is handy to be able to leave your truck in four wheel drive most of the time but the U joints wear out quick when in 4 wheel for most of the winter. So I was thinking it might be nice to switch out to the RCV CV Axle Set to allow for sharper turning in 4 wheel drive and less wear on the turning joint with the CV axle.

Looking forward to getting some feedback on what everyone thinks of that idea.

Thanks
George

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you a 4wd truck? if so, then you have a D60 in the front.
yes...your sterling is a full float rear axle.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's this simple....
if your truck is a genuine F350 4x4 and it's younger than 1986, you have a Dana 60 keeping the front end off the ground.;Sweet
that's one mean looking axle you linked over to;Sweet

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
Towcat i was gonna say the same thing, but you beat me to it. And those are some mean looking axle shafts but a little to rich for my blood.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats good to know i like kingpins a little better until its time to rebuild the kingpins lol so after 92 they are king pin?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those RCV PERFORMANCE axles look just like the heavy-duty Dana-60 option axles on older Ford and other makes of 4x4s.

Are they a copy of that design ?? :dunno

I used to see them all the time; but, they are now very rare to see. :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless someone changed out the ball joint setup to the kingpin.
buddy of mime just hit the jackpot on his '94 when he found the kingpin setup under his front end.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's this simple....
if your truck is a genuine F350 4x4 and it's younger than 1986, you have a Dana 60 keeping the front end off the ground.;Sweet
that's one mean looking axle you linked over to;Sweet

I thought the 86 f-350 and younger had the ttb. I looked at a 86 gasser f350 drw cclb and it wasn't a solid axle----- correction it was an 85

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I've herd good things about those cv joints for the Dana 60, @ Midnight Rider i think that you're thinking of the old closed knuckle axles like ford used in the 70's and those are different, these have better turning radius and are stronger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online