extra cooling?

siegler

Reaction score
If recall correctly, the aftermarket thermostat wont open all the way because of the design of the engine block where it mounts, but the OEM one will open all the way.

The IH service manual details this. I will try and remember to scan and post it in the morning.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think your thermostat is working correctly you could probably remove it too and see if it still overheats. I know if offers some restriction but if the issues lies in the radiator, water pump, or clutch fan it would still show itself with no thermostat

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
removing a thermostat can cause a truck to overheat on the freeway. Used to not run one in my willys pickup (offroad only pretty much) but when i took it on the highway it would overheat pretty much instantly. I installed a thermostat and the problem solved itself. with no thermostat the coolant moves to fast to cool off. You can get reducers that go in place of the thermostat that will work. Thats probably what i will do later on on my willys pickup.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont remember if it has a flat washer on the bottom but i dont recall seeing it. It looked more like the top one. It did have the rubber sleeve on it. i do know that for sure. I ordered a motocraft one and it should be here tomorrow morning. It will give a little time to test it out before i leave on Wednesday morning.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's an aluminum two core.

I am surprised no one has said anything about this. I don't know what radiator you have, but most two core radiators do not cool enough. Most people run a three core at minimum with some people running four core.

Definitely change the thermostat. Makes a huge difference in how much coolant it flows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^I run a large two core aluminum/plastic autozone spectre radiator on my truck. No cooling issues, never even had the thermostat at full open temp (215)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's why I asked, but it's not a one size fits all thing.
Some have good luck, some overheat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK installed the motocraft thermostat. Yep no real difference. Still climbs up to 230. Might come down a little faster. The only thing i can think of is i need a three core radiator.

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres how i solved the overheating problem.
You must be registered for see images attach

The crew cab was still overheating and the cheap autozone tq converter was lving up to its name and frying the oil in my trans and slipping like crazy. I was spinning 2500 rpms with the overdrive on at 55 mph. Normally its only spinning 2000 rpms at that speed. The trans fluid was getting up to 230 degrees on flat ground sometimes even with 4 coolers. Yeah thats not going to work! whats really ****** is i had just filled all the tanks! (i have a 40 gallon transfer tank in it) will be converting it to a 4 core radiator and manual 5 speed trans.
well here is a picture of it what the truck looks like right now just for fun

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you are the only one I know of who has had it work. There are a few on here who have not been able to keep their truck cool with those radiators, especially towing heavy and up grades. many have a hard time with a three core. If it works for you great. not trying to be a ****, I really like your build, but that is just what jumped out at me with everything else seemingly up to *****.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heres how i solved the overheating problem.

The crew cab was still overheating and the cheap autozone tq converter was lving up to its name and frying the oil in my trans and slipping like crazy. I was spinning 2500 rpms with the overdrive on at 55 mph. Normally its only spinning 2000 rpms at that speed. The trans fluid was getting up to 230 degrees on flat ground sometimes even with 4 coolers. Yeah thats not going to work! whats really ****** is i had just filled all the tanks! (i have a 40 gallon transfer tank in it) will be converting it to a 4 core radiator and manual 5 speed trans.
well here is a picture of it what the truck looks like right now just for fun
Unless someone has done all the bulletproofing to the Cummins, you're going to have a steep learning curve with that truck. :eek:
Before you give up on the C6, drop by my shop and take a correctly built C6 with a tight low stall diesel convertor out for a spin and feel the difference. :D

rockcrawler_101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the cummins is a really good friends parents truck. They used to haul horses all over the country in it (still bone stock so there is some hope of it holding together). granted it hasent been used much so heres to my luck turning around. I plan on stopping by your shop sometime soon. As for the low stall converter i will have to drop the pan and see what that cheap tq converter did to my rebuild. (or if i messed up the rebuild)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online