exhaust brake idi ideas

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
exhaust brakes is the question would we have to buy one from like banks and make it fit to our trucks is anybody interested in this concept

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I heard it was a bad idea. Because IDI's have Hydrolic lifterts and it would cause them to do something, mess them up somehow.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
youd be using exhaust back pressure to slow the engine down i dont see how that would hurt anything but then again im not that familiar with light duty diesels

tractorman86

Reaction score
i don't know i would be open to discussion but have never done anything with them. it sure would be cool to get one on an idi!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well I think it was something like this. The whole idea of an exhaust brake is to increase back pressure. But with hydraulic lifters, all that added backpressure puts a lot of strain on the valvetrain. This in turns leads to lifters to kinda go flat I guess, deflate, whatever its called. It had something to do with something like that LOL :D

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
not nessesellary banks but exhaust brakes in general like jacobas bd and who ever eles this might be good for the guys who are pulling big heavy loads and dont want to F-up there trans or service brakes

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Well I think it was something like this. The whole idea of an exhaust brake is to increase back pressure. But with hydraulic lifters, all that added backpressure puts a lot of strain on the valvetrain. This in turns leads to lifters to kinda go flat I guess, deflate, whatever its called. It had something to do with something like that LOL :D

are you thinking of a jake brake (compression brake) witch with the exhaust valve is held open via oil psi letting the compression stroke go out the exhaust

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
BD makes a generic exhaust brake that can be welded onto the exhaust that would work for our application, but I heard that that it is tough on the valvetrain...

Best guess is talk with the manufacturers and people who have personal experience (not hearsay) with them on a 6.9

FordGuy100

Reaction score
BD makes a generic exhaust brake that can be welded onto the exhaust that would work for our application, but I heard that that it is tough on the valvetrain...

Best guess is talk with the manufacturers and people who have personal experience (not hearsay) with them on a 6.9

Yup, thats what I heard to ;Sweet

Agreed, I've seen someone on here with one, hopefully that person will chime in ;Sweet

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I have a US Gear on mine, I'll see if I like it. Basically, we have 100lb valve springs and with enough back pressure you can "float" the valves. I think the gauge that came with my set up(came from my donor truck) has a redline at 40psi.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Just my two cents but I wouldnt run an exhaust brake. I was at work and found one in the "parts corner" (random pile of stuff that we have pulled off and set to the side for one reason or another, I use it as a stock room for ideas lol) and was looking at putting it on my rig. In any event I was strongly warned against it by the older wiser techs. Apparently it can (and as they said does and will) bend the pushrods.

the idea of an exhaust brake is simple, plug the exhaust and use the compression of the engine to slow the vehicle via engine speed.

The problem arises when you take a light duty engine that wasnt designed with these added (reverse) stresses in mind. we own those motors, all the 1 ton diesel are that way, not just idi's.

The limiting factors in the brakes (your pressure gauge, etc) will prolong the life span, but the simple fact is these diesels werent designed to run backwards and the valve train will take a beating with an exhaust brake installed.

just my two cents.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For years, I could come to almost a complete stop by downshifting. Then I wore out the syncro in my 1st gear, so if I decel in 1st, it pops out of gear. Morrow of the story.... brake parts are cheap and easy to replace. Now, I never downshift.