exhaust brake idi ideas

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For years, I could come to almost a complete stop by downshifting. Then I wore out the syncro in my 1st gear, so if I decel in 1st, it pops out of gear. Morrow of the story.... brake parts are cheap and easy to replace. Now, I never downshift.

Well I have always downshifted. Stupid Bronco does the pop out of 3rd gear on deceleration but when under acceleration it works fine.....go figure....I literally have to have my hand on the shifter and hold it into 3rd when coasting and it kicks like a mule!...

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
How about one of these...

Telma Frictionless Retarder

Saw a pic of one of these units over at TDS. The rig it was on was an F-550 set up to transport RV's cross country. It was mounted in such a way that it replaced the carrier bearing. Basically the idea is that you introduce an electrical field to a driveshaft-mounted rotor and the result is a retarding force on the driveshaft. From what I have read it can be engaged in four stages depending on the braking force needed.
I'm not sure what kind of electrical loads would be created, but I think it would be safe to assume that you would need a healthy alternator to keep up with it.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well im thinking more of an exhaust retarder more than anything and me and the other mechanic that i work with were debating wether it would or would not be ******* the valve train i just cant see how it would be though with an exhaust brake they arnt fully blocking the exhaust they are just restricting it a bit
anyway id just like to see if it actually would hurt it i guess that would be for me to try or some one like genlightning who allready has the **** to do it

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Saw a pic of one of these units over at TDS. The rig it was on was an F-550 set up to transport RV's cross country. It was mounted in such a way that it replaced the carrier bearing. Basically the idea is that you introduce an electrical field to a driveshaft-mounted rotor and the result is a retarding force on the driveshaft. From what I have read it can be engaged in four stages depending on the braking force needed.
I'm not sure what kind of electrical loads would be created, but I think it would be safe to assume that you would need a healthy alternator to keep up with it.

Those things work fabulously, and are fabulously expensive too :eek: I've never seen one on a pickup, but if you are ever up in some of the real hairy areas of the pacific northwest, like around Lewiston Idaho, don't try to follow one of the chip trucks pulling rocky mountain doubles off a mountain because you WILL loose your brakes halfway down... while the guy in front of you hasn't touched the pedal the whole way ( don't ask how I know this :fan:

I don't know what the current specs are, but 25 years ago they used to brag that you could go down an 8 % grade with 80k pounds and not have to touch the brakes. Most of the heavy haulers in that area were putting the things on the trailer axles. Around there I imagine the units paid for themselves in reduced brake maintnence in about 9 months
At the time I really wanted to get one for my rig, but couldn't afford the thing

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
I did some poking around on the site and they have a calculator for retarder size versus vehicle size/ capacity, and they seemed to cover everything from pickup to 80K+ rigs, but like you say RLDSL, I can imagine them being too spendy for anyone other than those who need it to make a living.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've driven a C5500 bus with a 6.6 and ally trans and it had a operational Telma that also had manual override. imho, it's the next best thing to a hydro unit. When it works in normal operation, it's kinda spooky. On this bus, it was set up to activate as soon as the go pedal was released. Mind you that the bus was operating in a interurban environment. Sure enough, my use of the whoa pedal was sharply curtailed with it working. Only time I needed to use the brake was in a panic situation when getting cut off by idiot drivers. i'll post a pic if I find one. one more thing....they're pretty darn big.