Even worse than the darkside

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dont worry, I didnt get another truck, or even sold my truck. But I will have to explain something to you guys.

This whole week my parents have been in Mexico. Thats all fine and dandy, its been a fine week. Anyways I usually dont have to drive my sister to school, but since they arent here to do that, I have been taking her to school. Since my truck is a regular cab, it would be a little cramped with me, my sister, our backpacks, and my golf clubs. So I have been driving my parents rig around. Anyways I absolutly love there truck, and I seriously thought it was some hot chit, and that it was really fast for a truck. It has the 6.4 TT PSD with about 6000 miles on it. So anyways last night, my friend came followed me up to my house to hang out. He was driving his uncles truck ( I have no idea why, he has a nice 98 Tahoe).

So he is about ready to leave, and I wanted to drive it and see what it was all about. So I hope in and away we go. Its a 05 Chevy 1500 CC SB 4x4 with the 6.0 gasser in it. Holy chit guys, that thing was really fast. I was going around some 25mph corners, and I would go WOT, and the it would start peeling out, and the back end would slide out. You could be on a gravel road, blip on the throttle, and it would break loose, my parents rig you have to do that and it has to boost some to do that. It was almost rediculous how fast that thing was. It was really nice, thats all I will say, though it road like a car :puke: . Plus, it gets 16-18mpg, thats what my truck gets, and we all know that gas is cheaper than diesel.

Now for some reason I want one like it really badly. Not only is it a chevy, its a gasser, WTH am I thinking LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Try makin 500HP and 800TQ and see what the mileage is then......

Yeah, I know it. Its just for a farm truck, I was really really impressed with the numbers. All I'm saying is stock, that truck was really fast, and I want one now because of that. And stock, it gets just as good fuel economy as my truck, and its fuel is cheaper.

And I know, when towing the fuel economy will go to chit, but still, I was impressed.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know it. Its just for a farm truck, I was really really impressed with the numbers. All I'm saying is stock, that truck was really fast, and I want one now because of that. And stock, it gets just as good fuel economy as my truck, and its fuel is cheaper.

And I know, when towing the fuel economy will go to chit, but still, I was impressed.

You cant run WMO or WVO in it :D

Stu

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
It probly also has something to do with you driving around your 6.9 for so long..... you get into a nice light gas-job and your mashin' to go pedal like its your diesel, peeling out left and right...... :D

not that I would know this from experience or anything....:angel:

1992camarors

Reaction score
I'm with you on that one. My dad has a 2001 Chevy 5.3 1500 4x4 and that truck screams and its stock. I mean its not a race car or anything but it never runs out of power even when were pulling our 20 ft. boat with it. The GM LS engines, you really can't beat.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It probly also has something to do with you driving around your 6.9 for so long..... you get into a nice light gas-job and your mashin' to go pedal like its your diesel, peeling out left and right...... :D

not that I would know this from experience or anything....:angel:

Thats what I'm thinking. It was a pretty fun drive :D

I'm with you on that one. My dad has a 2001 Chevy 5.3 1500 4x4 and that truck screams and its stock. I mean its not a race car or anything but it never runs out of power even when were pulling our 20 ft. boat with it. The GM LS engines, you really can't beat.

I will agree with you there. I was assuming that it was the 6.0, it could be the 5.3, I dont really know. It was still petty fast ;Sweet.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
put 10k lbs behind that gasser and tell me how much power it has... A few years ago when I had my IDI (Enterprise) I needed to move our 31ft trailer to storage while the ground was frozen so that I could use it for spring break to take the kiddies to see Mickey and since Apr is the month for soft ground I knew I better get it moved now before hand but the problem was there was a ton of snow on the ground and The E didn't do so well in snow so I enlisted my buddy with his Tahoe with the 5.7 vortec. Now I used to own a 350 vortec and personally I thought it had more power than a turboed IDI because when you mash the skinny pedal on my old Z71 it would flat scoot... his truck is no different... so we pull out the trailer and while it's hooked up he said let's tow it with my truck to see how it does - so we do and I drove - he had never pulled a trailer and didn't want to learn with mine behind. Well everything was good to go till we hit about 30 mph then she fell on her face - it struggled to pull the trailer when The E was still going strong - the power was just zapped away... That was when I realized where the power lays... So I guess if you aren't towing much then it would be fine because I towed our boat with both the E and my z71 (4k lb boat and trailer). The z71 did a great job but go much heavier and......

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats the thing though, my truck is mostly a DD. I've towed a boat, 5K maybe 6K pounds, and thats all I would tow with my truck.

I looked at the prices of them, and never mind. Those things are fricking expensive. I guess I will just live with my slow revving.....all in all slow IDI. My truck is fine in 1st and 2nd gear, its just anything past that, and it takes a while to accelerate.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i worked at a GM dealer for 2 years, those 6.6L diesels HAUL ASS i'd take one around a corner on dry pavement, wack it down and swing the ass around, yea they make the POWER NOW, but lets see those aluminum heads around 300K while our IDI's are still running without a hiccup and nothing more then a new i/p and mabe an injector or 2. :rotflmao and yes the gassers make power, but are VERY lacking on the reliability, my 3.0 ranger has 172K and i beat the snot outta it every day, lets see a 350 get beat on everyday and ask for more... LOL

-jon

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, try running that Chebby gasser at redline for 500k miles. Stick with the IDI. Also, the Vortec and the LS motors are different IIRC. My brother in law has an 07 1500 classic CC SB with the 6.0 in it, and while it has more power than my truck, it really doesn't feel much more comfortable to me, but then my butt ain't too picky. It also doesn't help that he has 22's on it. My cousin has a 99 1500 with the 5.3 in it and it's just turning 200k miles on it and he's been having problems with it, and he's afraid to go anywhere in it. Makes noises and crap.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Yeah, try running that Chebby gasser at redline for 500k miles. Stick with the IDI. Also, the Vortec and the LS motors are different IIRC. My brother in law has an 07 1500 classic CC SB with the 6.0 in it, and while it has more power than my truck, it really doesn't feel much more comfortable to me, but then my butt ain't too picky. It also doesn't help that he has 22's on it. My cousin has a 99 1500 with the 5.3 in it and it's just turning 200k miles on it and he's been having problems with it, and he's afraid to go anywhere in it. Makes noises and crap.

we had a few 1500 trucks comin w/ 20+ inch rims w/ blown rears....good luck hhaha :puke:

-Jon

FordGuy100

Reaction score
i worked at a GM dealer for 2 years, those 6.6L diesels HAUL ASS i'd take one around a corner on dry pavement, wack it down and swing the ass around, yea they make the POWER NOW, but lets see those aluminum heads around 300K while our IDI's are still running without a hiccup and nothing more then a new i/p and mabe an injector or 2. :rotflmao and yes the gassers make power, but are VERY lacking on the reliability, my 3.0 ranger has 172K and i beat the snot outta it every day, lets see a 350 get beat on everyday and ask for more... LOL

-jon

I've driven a 04 chevy 2500 4x4 with whatever model duramax that comes in it. It was nice, though I dont think it had that much power. Our ford has more balls than it, but that is to be expected, because I think those are rated at or just above 300hp, compared to our fords 350hp.

I really like the tranny in the chevy as well, locked up early. I'm used to the T/C not locked until your in overdrive or have it in tow haul.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
People tend to forget that these trucks are WORK trucks, they are ment to tow haul heavy stuff. There not racers. Gassers make good daily drivers but like it's been said if you need to tow or haul any amout of weight, diesels the only way to go.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
you could outrun any IDI and most newer diesels in any V6 minivan. heck my wife's pontiac vibe 4 banger feels quicker than my 7.3 PSD empty.

even my buddy's '95 Z71 with the throttle body 350 will run with my 7.3 empty. but when we were pulling trailers with logs on them last week my NA 6.9 left him whining to slow down so he could keep up.

diesels are slower empty but they move loads better. but if you don't use them for work it's hard to justify the slow performance and expensive fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online