Even worse than the darkside

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You guys all kill me - abuse a 350 and see how long it lasts!!! :rotflmao :rotflmao My small blocks have seen more abuse than prolly any of your diesels. And run one at red line all day, yep, at 3500, you'd never wear one out! Or did you mean their redline where you would most likely go to jail faster than you would hurt the motor.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chevy makes a great gasser motor, but the rest of the truck is pretty light duty, as are any of the 1/2 tons. Yesterday I put two 2.3 liter turbo fours and two 2.9 liter V6s in the back of a four wheel drive F150 and all I can say is I will probably never own another 1/2 ton truck.

Save your money Justin, you have a great dependable rig that you know all the history on. If you play it right, the single cab should save you lot of fuel: it's a good reason to make somebody else drive.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Chevy makes a great gasser motor, but the rest of the truck is pretty light duty, as are any of the 1/2 tons. Yesterday I put two 2.3 liter turbo fours and two 2.9 liter V6s in the back of a four wheel drive F150 and all I can say is I will probably never own another 1/2 ton truck.

Save your money Justin, you have a great dependable rig that you know all the history on. If you play it right, the single cab should save you lot of fuel: it's a good reason to make somebody else drive.

Thats what I'll do man, I'll just keep the old ford. It just seems like I get tired of it after awhile. I'll do some more mods to it, maybe that'll make it funner to drive ;Sweet.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats the thing though, my truck is mostly a DD. I've towed a boat, 5K maybe 6K pounds, and thats all I would tow with my truck.

I looked at the prices of them, and never mind. Those things are fricking expensive. I guess I will just live with my slow revving.....all in all slow IDI. My truck is fine in 1st and 2nd gear, its just anything past that, and it takes a while to accelerate.
you're gonna need gears.
a ZF5 and a 4.10 rear will change your tune. You can't drive a diesel like a gasser, diesels fall in and out of their powerband quickly. The IDI actually has the widest powerband compared with the Cummins. With a 4.10 rear, you'll get out of the hole easier and the trans will keep you in the ideal rpm range longer. The only addition you'll want is a OD like a USG or GV to get you the extra "step" between gears when you're pulling real heavy. Think 10k trailer heavy or 14k gooseneck heavy.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
you're gonna need gears.
a ZF5 and a 4.10 rear will change your tune. You can't drive a diesel like a gasser, diesels fall in and out of their powerband quickly. The IDI actually has the widest powerband compared with the Cummins. With a 4.10 rear, you'll get out of the hole easier and the trans will keep you in the ideal rpm range longer. The only addition you'll want is a OD like a USG or GV to get you the extra "step" between gears when you're pulling real heavy. Think 10k trailer heavy or 14k gooseneck heavy.

Thats probably the truth, I just cant justify a ZF 5 speed swap, and changing the gears to 4.10's right now. And yes that 3rd to 4th gear split sucks real bad, even empty.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A ZF swap is probably good for an extra MPG or two. I would encourage you to look into to using WVO or brewing biodiesel since that would keep your money in your pocket longer. But man you have to drive what you like, I doubt that these IDIs will ever get you the getup you found with that gas motor. A lightly modified PSD would be closer.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A ZF swap is probably good for an extra MPG or two. I would encourage you to look into to using WVO or brewing biodiesel since that would keep your money in your pocket longer. But man you have to drive what you like, I doubt that these IDIs will ever get you the getup you found with that gas motor. A lightly modified PSD would be closer.

Yeah I hear you. I'm actually striking up a deal with a guy right now, looks like I will be paying $1 a gallon for WVO, I'm trying to get a good 100 gallons a month off of the guy.

I would brew bio for my truck, myparents RV, my grandfathers truck (96 Cummins), there Prevost bus, and there home heater (uses home heating oil, which I heard is just low grade diesel)

I wont get rid of my truck, I'll just keep telling myself that LOL. It would be just to hard to break the news to my grandparents, and lord knows I couldnt do it once they passed away.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
with fuel prices the way they are if you have a source for WVO than owning an IDI is money in the bank.

as far as the GM motors, they are great, but not gold plated like some would profess. i'd take one over a triton though.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Justin, if you've got this fast car craze so much, get a frickin car not a truck. Thats what my brother and I did. We drove my grandpas truck as our daily driver, but whenever we had the speed craving we drove either the Z28 or my brothers mustang. No truck in the planet will beat that mustang, I'd lay down 2 weeks pay on it! Trucks are for hauling, passenger cars are for transporting people, performance cars are for going fast, and if you know what you're doing when building one will kick almost anything's ass.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Justin, if you've got this fast car craze so much, get a frickin car not a truck. Thats what my brother and I did. We drove my grandpas truck as our daily driver, but whenever we had the speed craving we drove either the Z28 or my brothers mustang. No truck in the planet will beat that mustang, I'd lay down 2 weeks pay on it! Trucks are for hauling, passenger cars are for transporting people, performance cars are for going fast, and if you know what you're doing when building one will kick almost anything's ass.

I know what you mean....But I would like a fast truck :D. No I understand though. Having a truck is real nice, lots of room, and you can always have the ability to go basically anywhere you really need to go, and can haul stuff. But sometimes you just get that need for speed LOL, if you know what I mean. I thought about getting a mustang a long time ago....but it just wont happen.

When my parents were looking at rigs (when they bought there truck), they almost came home with a Shelby GT500 Mustang (the new 08 ones). But they resisted that urge, and came home with the truck instead. Oh well, there truck is still plenty fast.....I'll just have to convince them to put on a DPF delete and 250 hp tune :D

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, I hear ya man. I used to get so PO'd at the kids in HS that thought their trucks were fast, or built "450hp" engines for them. Quite a few of them challenged us to races thinking they could beat us. They normally thought we'd come out with the Z28 which was the slowest of our cars. When they would see we'd brought the mustang they knew they were in trouble and would start whining. We'd just be like, hey you said your truck could beat us, well then you get to race our fastest, not our slowest. We'd give 'em a 5 second lead and that mustang would still be three or more lengths ahead by the end.

The Mustang.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/274996/mustang.wmv

That car is a 40 year old grandfather of that mustang your parents looked at. Yes, a real 1968 Shelby 289 GT350R Coupe, a limited production Shelby race car made for export to Mexico. It will slide sideways shifting into second and third, and even barks fourth. Raw power!

Last edited:

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Hey Justin, I understand how you feel about having a fast vehicle, but let me tell you from experience that they can drain your wallet real quick! I had a 93 mustang, and while it was only stock, it got me more tickets than I care to remember. It can be hard to resist playing when you have power on tap that way.LOL:D Tires are another concern. It gets costly having to replace rear tires every month or so. You definitely have to pay if you wanna play. This sounds like I'm giving a lecture but don't take it that way, that isn't the way I mean it! I'm just thinking that you have a good truck so just enjoy it. Not having payments is nice. Towcat is right about the 4.10's and ZF. Mine has pretty good grunt on take off.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you're getting screwed at $1.00/gallon for WVO. You ought to be able to get it for $.20/gallon or less. You might even be able to get it for free if you know some kids in the fast food industry or something. If you buy $1.00/gallon veggie you won't save much over diesel. You'll probably pay 2.85-3.00 per gallon or more for ethanol or methanol, and then probably .75 a pound for NaOH or 1-2 dollars a pound for KOH.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hear you justin, i had to help drive my dads dodge 1500 with the 5.7 hemi across the US. that is a fast truck. its a lot of fun to drive too. but when he was looking at trucks he said the new 6.7 cummins with the 6 speed was just as fast...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I think you're getting screwed at $1.00/gallon for WVO. You ought to be able to get it for $.20/gallon or less. You might even be able to get it for free if you know some kids in the fast food industry or something. If you buy $1.00/gallon veggie you won't save much over diesel. You'll probably pay 2.85-3.00 per gallon or more for ethanol or methanol, and then probably .75 a pound for NaOH or 1-2 dollars a pound for KOH.

Yeah, but you gotta remember that I'm halfway in between Portland and Eugene, which are basically the most liberal parts of Oregon. There are a lot of people looking for WVO around me it seems. I checked out the local joints and they all had people paying them for there WVO. I figure at $1 a gallon, if I buy all the stuff in bulk, I can produce bio for about $2 a gallon, which right now is more than half that of regular diesel....even at $2 a gallon to produce, its well worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online