Even worse than the darkside

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you're getting screwed at $1.00/gallon for WVO. You ought to be able to get it for $.20/gallon or less. You might even be able to get it for free if you know some kids in the fast food industry or something. If you buy $1.00/gallon veggie you won't save much over diesel. You'll probably pay 2.85-3.00 per gallon or more for ethanol or methanol, and then probably .75 a pound for NaOH or 1-2 dollars a pound for KOH.

I gotta back Justin on this one: there's no free WVO in the greater Portland area, everytime I ask somebody with fryers they tell me "yeah we already have somebody who is buying it from us to make bio."

No free rides (literally)

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but you gotta remember that I'm halfway in between Portland and Eugene, which are basically the most liberal parts of Oregon.

Just wondering: where's the least liberal part of Oregon, cause I don't think I've ever been there.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I gotta back Justin on this one: there's no free WVO in the greater Portland area, everytime I ask somebody with fryers they tell me "yeah we already have somebody who is buying it from us to make bio."

No free rides (literally)

Yeah, there are a lot of people looking for WVO around here.

Just wondering: where's the least liberal part of Oregon, cause I don't think I've ever been there.

Basically anywhere east of the Cascades, or west of the coastal range LOL. I live in a semi decent area as far as that is concerned. There are a lot of farmers down in the valley, and there are a lot of christmas tree farmers up on the other side of Silverton. Silverton is getting fairly big, with a lot of suburbs, so the libs are moving in, but all in all its all right.

I'm really considering going east when its all said and done. Montana, Wyoming, Colorado (maybe), Idaho, that's where I'm headed.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Everyone I've known with a chevy gasser with 4.10 gears & a 6.0L get about 10-12mpg unloaded. I've heard 14 is about THE BEST they will do on the highway. Fast & all that but you'll pay for it.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You're still young aren't you. :rotflmao :rotflmao

Why? You think you're Cummins could beat it? cookoo
I think not.

Now maybe that one supercharged twin turbo power stroke pro drag truck that the one diesel company has would. But this car runs low 10's, so yea, I guarantee you no personally funded (unsponsored) truck could beat that car. No one without the funds to put over 20k into their truck, not joking.

Are you young? Must be younger than to see when those old Lemans 289's were killing ferrari's and porches like they were yesterdays news. :D

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? You think you're Cummins could beat it? cookoo
I think not.

Now maybe that one supercharged twin turbo power stroke pro drag truck that the one diesel company has would. But this car runs low 10's, so yea, I guarantee you no personally funded (unsponsored) truck could beat that car. No one without the funds to put over 20k into their truck, not joking.

Are you young? Must be younger than to see when those old Lemans 289's were killing ferrari's and porches like they were yesterdays news. :D

That car in the video runs low 10s?

rubberfish

Reaction score
I guarantee you no personally funded (unsponsored) truck could beat that car.
And you've been drinking. :rotflmao :rotflmao

I'm not doubting your buddies stang hauls ass.
But dude, you need to watch what you saying.
There's **** loads of street legal diesel trucks
that can run with that thing. ;Really :cheers:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 05 Chevy 1500 CC SB 4x4 with the 6.0 gasser in it. Holy chit guys, that thing was really fast. I was going around some 25mph corners, and I would go WOT, and the it would start peeling out, and the back end would slide out. You could be on a gravel road, blip on the throttle, and it would break loose, my parents rig you have to do that and it has to boost some to do that. It was almost rediculous how fast that thing was. It was really nice, thats all I will say, though it road like a car :puke: . Plus, it gets 16-18mpg, thats what my truck gets, and we all know that gas is cheaper than diesel.

Be Warned, My dad's Suburban 6.0 only gets 10 hwy, 8 city and 5-6 pulling a trailer... and that's hand calculated.

I'm getting 11.5 - 13.5 pulling trailers and 22 - 23 empty with the Dodge/Cummins...... Hand calculated.......

Hook that Tahoe up to an overloaded trailer and see what happens....... Oh wait, nevermind, my dad already did that and after the suspension bottomed out and the rear tires looked like they were flat and all the weight wasn't on the hitch yet he let me pull it with the dually for him..... The load scaled out at 20,000 lbs including my truck so figure about 12k was the trailer. My dad pulled this trailer empty getting 6 mpg, I pulled it loaded down the same route he came up getting 10 mpg

Besides breaking tires loose around corners fast is easy, not impressed, can do it on a lawnmower.

I've been breaking my tires loose and sliding the *** end of my dually all over in 6th gear on the hwy all day yesterday and today..........

It was pretty icy out to say the least from Peace River Alberta to Saskatoon SaskatchewanLOL

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I hear ya man. I used to get so PO'd at the kids in HS that thought their trucks were fast, or built "450hp" engines for them. Quite a few of them challenged us to races thinking they could beat us. They normally thought we'd come out with the Z28 which was the slowest of our cars. When they would see we'd brought the mustang they knew they were in trouble and would start whining. We'd just be like, hey you said your truck could beat us, well then you get to race our fastest, not our slowest. We'd give 'em a 5 second lead and that mustang would still be three or more lengths ahead by the end.

The Mustang.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/274996/mustang.wmv

That car is a 40 year old grandfather of that mustang your parents looked at. Yes, a real 1968 Shelby 289 GT350R Coupe, a limited production Shelby race car made for export to Mexico. It will slide sideways shifting into second and third, and even barks fourth. Raw power!

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao -Lame

I call :bs

There was no GT350"R" in 1968 and only 7 GT350 coupe/notchback models were produced in 1968.... They were Trans Am cars and all designated just GT350.

The rest of the 68 GT 350 and GT500 models were all convertable or fastback.

The 1968 GT350 also used 302 engines, 1967 was the last year for the 289 in a GT350.

In fact your ummmmmm......"Shelby GT350R"........ even has the wrong tail lights..... That ain't nothing but regular old mustang coupe tail lights, not Shelby tail lights, It doesn't even have correct tail lights to be California Special GT coupe.

Your stripes are wrong too.... Don't know what Earl Shibe put on your mustang but it's not a Shelby stripe scheme.

Sorry to break the bad news to you but you have a plain old mustang coupe with a big cam in it. If you had one of the 7 1968 GT350 Coupe Trans Am cars you either are incredibly rich, or will be well off when you sell it.

Oh and 10 second Quarter, yea right. Do you know what it takes to run a 10 second quarter mile. I do and you ain't running it in that car.

Last edited:

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Tonka, thats what most people say and I dont care. We have the proof that my brothers car is what it is, and Im not showing you. If I did we'd have people coming down here trying to buy it all the time or writing me online all the time about it. It's a confirmed car, and if you really knew you're stuff you'd know most of the cars made for mexican export didnt come with any shelby body parts whatsoever.
I dont know what you think is wrong with the stripes, but I painted that car myself and those stripes were layed down in the correct measurements. To be honest its not supposed to have them, in supposed to be just the plain blue, but my brother wanted them.
Also, another thing I have a gripe with. 289's came in almost a quarter of all 1968 cars, especially the early shelby cars. As you can notice it also doesnt have the side marker lights in the quarters which were "on all 1968 cars". BS, they werent, just like not all 68's came with 302's.

On a 150hp shot of nitrous oxide this car will in fact run 10.4x quarter miles.

We came into the car while helping on a farm, and yes we wouldnt have been able to afford it if the old lady hadnt been really nice.

Fish, yea, sorry. I was in a crappy mood last night and all I was trying to get across to justin is that if you want the fastest vehicle on the block, get a car and keep the truck for a daily driver.
Anyway.
I have to get to work.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tonka, thats what most people say and I dont care. We have the proof that my brothers car is what it is, and Im not showing you. If I did we'd have people coming down here trying to buy it all the time or writing me online all the time about it. It's a confirmed car, and if you really knew you're stuff you'd know most of the cars made for mexican export didnt come with any shelby body parts whatsoever.
I dont know what you think is wrong with the stripes, but I painted that car myself and those stripes were layed down in the correct measurements. To be honest its not supposed to have them, in supposed to be just the plain blue, but my brother wanted them.
Also, another thing I have a gripe with. 289's came in almost a quarter of all 1968 cars, especially the early shelby cars. As you can notice it also doesnt have the side marker lights in the quarters which were "on all 1968 cars". BS, they werent, just like not all 68's came with 302's.

On a 150hp shot of nitrous oxide this car will in fact run 10.4x quarter miles.

We came into the car while helping on a farm, and yes we wouldnt have been able to afford it if the old lady hadnt been really nice.

Ah OK, Shelby de Mexico. They did come with the 289 in '68 and were notchback....... all 203 of them that were produced. But you're still missing stuff because ALL 1967 and 1968 Shelby de Mexico models received all of the 1967 Shelby-unique parts - fiberglass nose and hood, rear spoiler and taillights as well as cast aluminum 10-spoke wheels, sintered metallic brake linings, Koni shock absorbers, a larger front anti-sway bar, export brace and Monte Carlo bar, under-ride traction bars and cast aluminum "Cobra" valve covers, intake manifold and oil pan.

Now if you knew your stuff you'ld know the Mexican Shelby wasn't exported into Mexico, it was made in Mexico, Ford of mexico only produced the notchback mustang body style. Also 1969 was the first year you could delete shelby specific items like the tail lights on a Shelby de Mexico.

You'ld also know that ONLY 5 factory Shelby de Mexico Race cars were ever built (GT350R....R stands for factory race car). One '66 model, One '67 model, two '69 models and one '70 model....... Hmmmmmm no '68 "R" models. Now of these 5 cars only the two 69's and the '70 were actually produced by Shelby de Mexico.... They bought the other 2. And of these 5 cars there is only 1 survivor which is a '69 model.... the rest were destroyed in racing accidents, OOPS!!!!

Now knowing how bodywork is done and how bad the driving and theft is in mexico I can understand it having the wrong, hood, tail lights, wheels etc.... but you should be able to snap a few pics of the monte carlo bar, export brace, and Cobra oil pan, valve covers and intake, I would expect that stuff to still be present on a car with the original engine and drivetrain.

Question for you because I don't know squat about these carsLOL

What year did the little old lady import this car into the US????:popcorn

Now you want people to believe you and you ain't gonna prove it:rotflmao :rotflmao :hail :rotflmao GOOD LUCK!!!

BTW, you have a time slip from the drag strip that shows the 10.4 second quarter mile pass, A good hardcore racer will never throw away a good slip.

Now if you have the only surviving '68 GT350R that was ummmmmmmm....never made.... with an extreemely rare special built 350 hp mexican block 289...... Why are you dumb enough to flog it with a 150 hp shot of nitrous

Now don't get mad at me, I'm just pointing out a few facts that need clarification.

Last edited:

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure how anyone could make any judgment on that car, you were never able to get a good look at the whole car in the video. Pickin fights about a car you have never seen seems like a pretty stupid thing, you couldnt see the wheels or the inside or under the car or the hood. So dont get your ******* in a *** because the car you kinda saw in a short video doesnt appear to you to be the car it is...

Anyone can loose a piece of paper with a number on it. Maybe he has it, maybe not, but you cant expect that he will have it. I too have seen power, my uncle has a 62 falcon that he drags, pulls 11 something in the quater, and its a not a super showy car. Any car can be a sleeper, maybe this is one.

More pics would be nice though... :)

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
2001 Duramax and a 1985 6.9, Dmax has more power and the same fuel economy, plus the AC works ;Sweet other than that I'd prefer to put captians chairs in the IDI and drive it :D fired it up after it sat for well north of a year yesterday, it needs glowplugs and a new relay, then a ZF5 and a secondary overdrive, but it sounds much beter than the Dmax :hail

Edit- that is I fired it up on one battery :D

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Okay well first things first. When we bought it my brother and I were 12 years old, and we did yard work for the lady we got it from. We saw it in the barn almost the first time we worked at her place, and my brother begged me until I gave in, and we asked her if she'd give us the car as payment for a whole summer's work, and she agreed. She said she had no use for it anymore, and said she thought we'd do it justice so she sold it to us. So basically we got it for the sum of $500 work, give or take. It was in POOR condition, but was for the most part still intact. It still had the aluminum wheels in question on it, and it still had the original valve covers and the dual quad air cleaner in the back seat. The intake and carbs were gone, but it still had the original heads on it. The car had been spun into a pole and the tail panel, trunk lid and rear lower valance were destroyed. However, it still had the regular vertical tail lights in it. most of the front end was gone, and the hood thats on it now is the one that was on it when we got it, however I dont believe it to be original either because it was a completely different color than the rest of the car. It had the 9" locking rear in it, and yes with the funky traction bars. But the rear was locked up and we were young and dumb and during our restoration of the car we threw the 9" away, and my dad hated the bars so we took those off, but they are still here somewhere. Other than the rear the car has its original drive train in it, this we did not know or even care about until the second time we built the engine.

You have to understand we bought the car when we were young and very dumb, we didnt even know what the car was until we joined a local mustang club and an older guy that owned 3 shelby's looked at it and flipped out, he is the one that did all the work in verifying the car.
Anyway, like I said we were young and dumb, and my brother sold the original wheels to the shelby collector to help fund the restoration of the car.

Anyway we arent rich, and my brother built the car with his own money aside from my help with the original purchase. He built the car to what he wanted. Like I said we were young and didnt know what it was, and by the time we did he didnt want to change everything he'd built on it to make it his own.

It does sound like you know what you're talking about, just believe too much in what you know. Most guys dont believe at all that Shelby coupe's exist. The reason I called it a GT350R is because I didnt figure anyone here would have as much knowledge as you do about it and describing it that way is normally the easiest way to go about it.

If you think the 150 shot of NOS is bad, you'll probably cringe to hear in HS it regularly saw 8000RPM when we were drag racing it all the time.
It still has the quick ratio manual steering and manual brakes as well which makes it a chore at times to drive on the street, but hey it adds to the nostalgic feel.

BTW, what do you think is wrong with those stripes, because I painted it myself and they are to correct specs for LeMans Shelby stripes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online