Engine Temp???

FordMan1014

Reaction score
Just installed an aftermarket coolant temp sensor and im just curious to know what temp i should be running???

FordGuy100

Reaction score
With a new motorcraft thermostate, it seems like it runs in the 185* range for me. Without a fan, my temps are between 180-200*. Havent seen anything over 200* while driving through town.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Depends on what you are doing with the truck ie pulling, loaded or empty...

I guarantee if you do a search you will find the general ballpark numbers you are looking for.

Thad

FordMan1014

Reaction score
I just took it down the road and got on her pretty good and she was running about 220? That doesent look good...

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put a temp gauge in my truck and I am running about 219. Tomorrow I am going to buy a motorcraft thermostat to see if that cools things down.

FordMan1014

Reaction score
Just got inside from tinkering a bit, just re-bled the coolant system thinking an air pocket might have been holding me up and got a **** ton of air out of the coolant. Took it down the road again and still got the same results... I am running dual electric fans but i wouldn't think that would be my prob. My next thought is that my cheap sunpro gauge is junk???

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anything under 240 is good.
the stock t-stat starts to open at 192 and is fully open at 212.
those who run under 210ish degree's normally,are missing out on a more complete diesel fuel burn.
imho,your good to go.
curious,what did you decide to go with for e-fans?
with them on full,is 220 all you can get the temp down to though? - if so,that's not good.she'll heat up over 240 quick if you hook onto anything.
your fans should drop her down to start making the t-stat close at the very least.

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
engine temp

I installed an Autometer guage in mine, and it runs at 195 around town and 205 on the freeway.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Some of this engines run cool all the time some warm most of the time even in winter. When I had the 7.3l it would run warm all the time, I did everything I could to make it run cooler (new rad, several t-stats, etc) but that is just the way it was but it never overheated it would run 220f easy when pulling a load. The 6.9l I have runs all day cool with a load on it or behind it.

FordMan1014

Reaction score
anything under 240 is good.
the stock t-stat starts to open at 192 and is fully open at 212.
those who run under 210ish degree's normally,are missing out on a more complete diesel fuel burn.
imho,your good to go.
curious,what did you decide to go with for e-fans?
with them on full,is 220 all you can get the temp down to though? - if so,that's not good.she'll heat up over 240 quick if you hook onto anything.
your fans should drop her down to start making the t-stat close at the very least.

After having the truck for less than a week and on my third new rad in that amount of time because my mech fan decided to kill my original and my brand new one from Oriley's i figured i wouldn't chance it taking out another one! I came to the conclusion that the first one was caused by the X straps on the rad breaking off and the fan grabbed them and the second time because the fan was out of balance from its previous run it with the rad

turbodiesel94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Year round average my temp stays right around 190-192, if its really hot then sometimes ill see 200 or if im pulling a load or hill the highest its been is 220.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After having the truck for less than a week and on my third new rad in that amount of time because my mech fan decided to kill my original and my brand new one from Oriley's i figured i wouldn't chance it taking out another one! I came to the conclusion that the first one was caused by the X straps on the rad breaking off and the fan grabbed them and the second time because the fan was out of balance from its previous run it with the rad

ahh,that sounds like fun.i just replaced the original due to many slow leaks.
actually what i was asking was what type of e-fans are you running? not why though.but i like the reason why! its a good one.
i did it for fuel economy myself.
im using the dual ford windstar e-fans.you?

FordMan1014

Reaction score
ahh,that sounds like fun.i just replaced the original due to many slow leaks.
actually what i was asking was what type of e-fans are you running? not why though.but i like the reason why! its a good one.
i did it for fuel economy myself.
im using the dual ford windstar e-fans.you?

Separate dual fans from a 96' grand prix