Engine Swap

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally found a decent replacement engine for my old truck at a reasonable price. I picked up an 88 model NA 7.3 with 140k on the clock, all accessories included for $450.

I'm trying to decide the quickest & easiest way to do the swap. My old 6.9 with the Banks on it shows 62k on the ticker, and I'm sure that's at least 262k - if not 362k. Its got decent compression - around 300-350 on all cylinders (dead cold) and starts OK, but the blow-by is BAD - burns a quart every 75-100 miles. So, time for a swap.

With the Y-pipe going behind the ZF-5 bellhousing and all, I'm thinking the easiest thing will be to remove the grill, radiator, and radiator support, put a jack or blocks under the tranny, and leave it in the truck - pulling the engine almost straight out the front over the bumper. The turbo mounts to the backside of the passenger side head with only 2 or 3 bolts, so, I'm thinking that if I unbolt it from the back of the head and unbolt the y-pipe from the manifolds the turbo can just stay in place with the tranny.

Seems like that's gotta be easier than pulling the engine, tranny, t-case and all. Any other thoughts from any members who've done one of these swaps before?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
just unbolt the tranny, exhaust, hoses, harness, radiator, fan clutch and motor mounts, remove the hood and remove the engine.

I just swapped in a 6.9 into my gas F350 which is lifted 6in and i just deflated the tires, removed radiator and old engine and installed new. Then installed trans and transfercase.

My old 91 i did in the driveway at my dads house the same way.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
The crossmember if similar to a t-19 will hold the trans in place when the engine is pulled,

This christmas im going to be pulling my engine for the third time to re-build it, and put the second clutch in it in 3 months