Electrical issue. What kind of connection is this from Ford?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
For a tank, just look for rust inside and out. Especially where the straps go, and the plastic cover. A lot of yards stab holes in them though.
Starter I would go new. But if it's cheap like $20, that's equal to the core charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
For a tank, just look for rust inside and out. Especially where the straps go, and the plastic cover. A lot of yards stab holes in them though.
Starter I would go new. But if it's cheap like $20, that's equal to the core charge.

Mine look fine outside but inside, DAMN!

Some do, some don't even though they're "supposed to".

Was thinking the same on starter. If it doesn't work, I'll talk to them. I THINK they warranty them. Not sure. Most yards do though. I just know I can't return it for cash back which for right now is fine. I'll use that for something else. I also spun my PS pump pully by hand and the sumbitch is "warped". It doesn't spin straight but like the pully rod is bent...... And it makes a strange noise.....

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Pulled my Ip gear cap, This is what I saw:
You must be registered for see images attach

@FarmerFrank

Had to pull the damn cover....Craftsman combo wrenches DO NOT fit in the space given to get just the IP out. I tried for 2 hours.

Reworked the GP controller/Engine Harness. I will need a new one shortly. Thinking of using 6.0 GP leads and different sensor connections. I don't like the open air slip on type. Cars from the 50's and 60's had those and they were terrible. Could also be why my cluster goes stupid all the time. Alternator has external regulator, And the leads are corroded in the 2 wire black connector. Would explain always reading no voltage.
Everything is "sealed" up for now. Dirty connections and all just for now to keep them from getting worse. ALL of them are bad though and need cleaned but how? :dunno

Waiting to get acetone to clean the mating surface for new RTV....Not many places open at 1:45AM. And walmarts is a joke. I tried it.

Take a look at that valley pan......Thats healthy...

Although I found why. The return line was loose as hell.....Has been leaking for A LONG time.

In 7 hours of taking my time and thinking it out, I got the Ip swapped out just need to RTV cover,re-worked the harness, Ran new batt. cables, installed conduit on just about every exposed wire and got rid of Fords black tape special, few more things....
When I pulled the lines from my old IP, look like a Hershey bar melted inside and got watered down. Gotta run and pick up a transmission. 4 hour round trip...Then back at it when I get back. Oh, and still have work Monday....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I used craftsman wrenches to remove ip before.
Also, rusted Valley pan is more likely a combo of clogged drain and leaking hood seal.
Diesel has nothing to do with it. If anything, the diesel would protect it from rusting.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Are you running acid for fuel? Lol
If diesel was causing the rust... what would we do about injectors and ip?
Yeah, tanks rust, because moisture sits at the bottom.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
My IP looked like willy wonka "had an inspiration"... Even the gear cap was rusted. But, the intervals are clean...looked down timing gear and spotless. Should a got a pic.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The timing gear gets bathed in oil, when it is running. The gear cap does not.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
I used craftsman wrenches to remove ip before.
Also, rusted Valley pan is more likely a combo of clogged drain and leaking hood seal.
Diesel has nothing to do with it. If anything, the diesel would protect it from rusting.

Which ones are you using? The standard ones don't. I got mine in a kit type box on sale. They're about 6" long and normal, I guess.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Same bifold kit type. All I've ever owned.
Have a few old channel-lock brand wrenches kicking around that don't get used often.
Been a couple years ago now though.
Make one of these.
You must be registered for see images

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Thats why mine didn't fit. Standard size box width. Even the open end jaws wouldn't fit...Too thick. Either way the cover was pulled but the gear was kept in the same place. IF its off, maybe by a tooth. And before anyone says it, I couldn't get a sharpie to marker to stick well enough to count.

Last edited:

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 or 4 wrenches that were formed to suite a need I had. Makes you wonder what you were doing 35 years ago when I made that wrench...