electric lift pump

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a question about replacement lift pumps. I have a 1984 Ford f-250 6.9l auto with a Banks Turbo. What would be a good electric pump to replace the mech pump on my truck? I was thinking about a holley blue. But though I'd ask you all first, I would hate to use that pump and have it fail in the winter.:rolleyes: thanks

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
If your injection and return system is in proper working order there is no need for a electric pump (why complicate things) but I have had bad luck with electric pumps so thats just my .02

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The Facet Dura Lift pump is designed specifically for diesel and is the factory lift pump for Carrier Transicold and Thermoking ****** units to run 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It is designed to lift fuel 10 feet so you can mount it up under the hood instead of down on the frame. Even has it's on pre filter screen and seperator bowl on it that saves on filter changes Use the search feature for a thread carrier pump group buy , one of the members had a lead on a good deal on the things. otherwise they are not a cheap pump at the trailer dealer.
I've been running mine for a couple of years now and it works great

Not a big fan of holly pumps, folks get lucky once in a while, but for the most part, they don't hold out very long, which is normal for a speed shop pump. If you want to go speed shop pump, check out the mallory pumps, Like all speed shop pumps, they don't hold out long, but at least you can buy all the rebuild parts for those things and you can rebuild one on the side of the road in about 5 minuits

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not arguing with RLDSL, but the Holley Red is the pump by which all others are measured. I'd be willing to bet there are more in service than any other type, which may explain why there are some who have not been sucessfull with them. However, sometimes the fuel that goes through them is the problem, more than the pump. The Holley Blue output presure is higher than what you want. Go with the Red, or an equivelent. The Carrier pumps have failed, so have the facets. In fact, if you search the board, you will find at least one dead pump of every type. I have 4 Reds, and never had a problem with any of them. The one on the Bronco has been pumping junk fuel for 3 years.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yep, the Holley Red seems to be the favorite, but I run a Carter (part number in my signature) and have been running it for 4 years or more as well. When I put it on, it was a test run for a Carter rep as they added diesel to the list of compatible fuels after it ran a year or so. They are not quite 50% less than the Holley Red and while I've not listened to every Holley on the board, mine is quieter than any I have.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carter is also the most often used OEM pump. ;Sweet All of the in-tank pumps I have had to replace (dead after about 150K miles) have been Carter.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Carter is also the most often used OEM pump. ;Sweet All of the in-tank pumps I have had to replace (dead after about 150K miles) have been Carter.

I sold them for years with little to no problems, so I was willing to be the guinea pig so to speak. The price was right as well! ;Sweet

I was actually at the parts counter returning a Holley Red that was damaged in shipping, the Carter Rep, who I used to deal with weekly, asked why I was running a Holley instead of a Carter, so I told him. He offered the new multifuel pump for a trial and I took it! I had one issue where I thought a filter clogged, but I now know it was that my front sender is off. Seems to read fine (as in stable, just the tank goes full faster and stays full longer than it should, when it starts moving, it moves pretty quickly), but if it says 1/2 tank, you better be getting fuel or switching tanks in the near future!

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do you run a regulator with the fawcett?

Regulator not needed with a Facet pump, nor with any of them from what I can figure. Supposedly it changed the advance, but I put a pressure regulator and a gauge on the thing and set the timing meter on and checked it unregulated and with it cut back to 4 psi and there was no difference at all, so aparantly, that one falls under old wives tales.

I have had PLENTY of experience with Holley red and blue pumps, I've had more than my fair share of hot rods in the past( and 2 Holey pumps on this truck that folded in short order when I first got the thing) and even when properly pre filtered, those darn things just don't hold up, especially in high heat climates. All of which would not be so bad if you could buy all of the parts to rebuild them on the side of the road, but calls to the manufacturer will yield only answers of " you must send the pump back in to the factory for complete rebuild " Which does you no good on the side of the road, so, that is when I started searching for a higher quality pump and went for a commercial duty pump.
When I went to the Carrier dealer to buy one, the parts guy went back in the parts room and waslost back there for quite a while looking for the thing before he finally found them. He came back apologizing because they had never sold one before because they had never had to replace one because they had never had one fail ;Sweet
Bear in mind, all of the reported failures on those pumps have been with excessivly high mixtures of alternative fuels (WMO/WVO) and/or with extra filters on the suction side which they are not designed for.
When operated as designed, they function flawlessly.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem with holley pumps is the hole above the seal cavity will let water in and then the shaft corrodes, which is the armature and it costs as much as a pump.
So keep that in mind when mounting.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mounting location and all that is obviously a factor for any pump. That's a good point, and probably why I don't have any problems. Inside the frame rail under the drivers butt, there is very little going on.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The biggest problem with holley pumps is the hole above the seal cavity will let water in and then the shaft corrodes, which is the armature and it costs as much as a pump.
So keep that in mind when mounting.

But of course, they have to be mounted below the tank which limits mounting options greatly, therein lies the problem, which is not a design problem by Holley in itself. It is a problem in misapplication of their product. They really are good racing pumps. The things were just never designed for extended use on daily drivers. When they list an application as ' street or strip' on speed shop parts like that, it doesn't mean that they are intended for extended use on a daily driver, it just means that the things are OK to put on a car that you are going to run on the street for your friday night cruising and racing runs.

Performance parts generally have nice gains, but there is always a trade off in longevity ( sure there's the odd few that go on for years, then again there's the odd person that smokes home rolls and lives to 104, but that's not the norm, it's the exception) Commercial parts on the other hand are designed with longevity as the primary concern ;Sweet
When you are marketing your product to an industry that has to keep it's equipment running 24/7 off your pumps or 48000 pounds of perishable goods at a whack will be history, you can bet your hind end that there wouldn't be very many failures before those trailer manufacturers would be looking for a new pump supplier

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holley Red. Mount it close to the FSV on the driver's rail. It's a good pump. I've had zero issues from the last 4 years. It puts 4-5 psi at the filter head all day long.

EZ's and 69dieselfreak's Facet pumps died in very short order. Both were mounted in the engine compartment.:dunno RLDSL, I get what you are saying about the Facet vs. Holley, but for me, I'm still not "sold" on the Facet for this application as of yet. Just my $0.02.;Sweet When the Holley needs replacing, I'll likely try one (Facet) for myself, ya never know.

Heath

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
Iv got the carter in my sig, and so far its been great. Iv got a holley red on my 460 gasser and had it underwater countless times and it keeps working so I cant really complain about it.

When I was looking at those faucet duralift pumps or something all the ones I found were ment for fuel tank transfers not really supplying fuel to an engine but I dont see why not.

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I already have a holley blue w/a reg. & a kit for it. So I think I'll try it first. I appreciate the info on the facet pumps; RLDSL. Thanks again!!